Elmergrid doesn't open

Discussion about building and installing Elmer
marcosluan130
Antispam: Yes

Elmergrid doesn't open

Post by marcosluan130 »

Hello guys,

I'm working with a Navier-Stokes example, where I need to import a maille from the Elmergrid. The thing is, every time I click on the Elmer grid application it just pops a black windows real quick and then nothing happens.Can someone help me out?
kevinarden

Re: Elmergrid doesn't open

Post by kevinarden »

If you can post the files it can be tested.
mzenker

Post by mzenker »

Hi,

Elmergrid is a commandline application. To use it, open a terminal (enter "cmd" in the start menu if under Windows). Then type e.g.

ElmerGrid 14 2 mymesh.msh

to convert a gmsh mesh into Elmer format - see Elmergrid Manual for more info. Use File->load mesh in ElmerGUI to open the converted mesh.

HTH,
Matthias
marcosluan130

Post by marcosluan130 »

mzenker wrote: 24 Sep 2019, 11:45 Hi,

Elmergrid is a commandline application. To use it, open a terminal (enter "cmd" in the start menu if under Windows). Then type e.g.

ElmerGrid 14 2 mymesh.msh

to convert a gmsh mesh into Elmer format - see Elmergrid Manual for more info. Use File->load mesh in ElmerGUI to open the converted mesh.

HTH,
Matthias
Thank you very much, that really opened my eyes. However, I want to create my first file on grid. How should I do it? I tried to use your command as example, but it said it couldn't open the file "mymesh.msh". Thus, I wanted to know how to create my first file.msh. Again, thank you very much.
mzenker

Post by mzenker »

Hi,

to create a mesh you can

* use ElmerGrid format - see tutorials for worked examples
* use gmsh, define a geometry, mesh it, save it in msh format (version 2) and convert it with ElmerGrid 14 2 filename.msh - or open it directly with ElmerGUI (File - open)
* use Salomé, define a geometry, mesh it, save it as unv and convert it with ElmerGrid 8 2 filename.unv - or open it directly with ElmerGUI (File - open)

HTH,
Matthias
marcosluan130

Post by marcosluan130 »

mzenker wrote: 24 Sep 2019, 16:43 Hi,

to create a mesh you can

* use ElmerGrid format - see tutorials for worked examples
* use gmsh, define a geometry, mesh it, save it in msh format (version 2) and convert it with ElmerGrid 14 2 filename.msh - or open it directly with ElmerGUI (File - open)
* use Salomé, define a geometry, mesh it, save it as unv and convert it with ElmerGrid 8 2 filename.unv - or open it directly with ElmerGUI (File - open)

HTH,
Matthias
I have found a msh file from the examples, renamed it with "mymesh.msh", and tried to open as you said, but that was the output I got:

https://imgur.com/3PHXPU6

I need to create a mesh by own and put the following parameters:

https://imgur.com/fSZD65f

to then open it with the ElmerGui.

Can you help me out?
mzenker

Post by mzenker »

I cannot open the links in your message. They are blocked by the firewall here.