New forum for Elmer/Ice

Extension of Elmer in computational glaciology
tzwinger
Site Admin
Antispam: Yes

New forum for Elmer/Ice

Post by tzwinger »

Hello Elmer/Ice,

at the EGU 2013 Elmer/Ice splinter meeting (see http://elmerice.elmerfem.org/wiki/doku. ... rstmeeting for presentations given there), there was the request to have a documented channel for Elmer/Ice specific questions and answers. The mail-list was rather not considered to be sufficient for that. That is why this channel "Elmer/Ice" now exists.

I would suggest that we would send technical questions related to Elmer/ice to this forum channel and use elmerice@elmerfem.org list only for announcements.

Have fun with the new forum channel,

Thomas Zwinger, Peter Råback and Olivier Gagliardini
rgladstone

Re: New forum for Elmer/Ice

Post by rgladstone »

Could I suggest that users feel free to send one message to the elmer/ice email list when they post here?

I think it has been beneficial to use the elmer/ice email list for asking questions, and Martina informs me that she has had useful replies to her recent elmer/ice emails from people other than the "usual suspects"! So there might be something to be gained through reaching a wider audience than this forum page would reach.

If we just have one elmer/ice email per new subject in this forum we will not be clogging up people inboxes.

Just a thought. Or we could just see how things go, see how active this forum becomes.

Rupert

[Edit: if you click on "subscribe forum" at the bottom of the elmer/ice forum main page you will be notified of new posts.]
Last edited by rgladstone on 16 Apr 2013, 10:38, edited 1 time in total.
tzwinger
Site Admin

Post by tzwinger »

Hi,
in Vienna we basically agreed that we have this forum for technical questions and the mailing-list for more general announcements. For me - despite that I do not think that it will work that easily - it doesn't make sense to post new threads on the elmerice@elmerfem.org-list, when everyone interested (with an user-id) can subscribe to an automatic mail-notification to this forum.

Best Regards,

Thomas
joeatodd

Post by joeatodd »

The problem at the moment is that, if you subscribe, you receive an email notification of any new post rather than just a new topic, which means we're back to filling each others inboxes.
tzwinger
Site Admin

Post by tzwinger »

Hi,
I invested half an hour to study possibility of php-coding. As far as I understand, I can only change the notification mode from "new posts" to "new topic only" simultaneously for the whole forum (so affect all other Elmer users) and that only with a quite high risk of screwing up everything there is. In short: I don't want to do it.
Nevertheless, could we agree that

a) the traffic on Elmer/Ice anyhow will be moderate (except for the intense debate today)
b) everyone is able to write mailbox-filters to keep her/his mailbox clean

and leave it the way it is now, except there is a php-wizzard amongst the subscribers of this channel that can give me absolutely clear instructions (including the pieces of code) on how to switch the notification behaviour for exactly one channel?

Cheers,

Thomas