infinite MeshVelocities

Extension of Elmer in computational glaciology
Martina
Antispam: Yes

infinite MeshVelocities

Post by Martina »

Hi all,
I have a problem with Mesh Velocities in the following setup:
a) I do a surface relaxation run (mainly Navier-Stokes, MeshUpdate, FreeSurfaceSolver - I am not using the StructuredMeshMapper since this is an old project which was started earlier and I didn't wanted to switch in the middle),
b) I restart from this, reset the Mesh Velocities to zero at the beginning, execute MeshUpdate Solver and calculate a Temperature Steady state,
c) I restart from b) and want to run the Temperature Solver as a transient simulation (only temperature, so no changes in velocities or geometry) after executing MeshUpdate.

In c) I run the MeshUpdate Solver as very first Solver "Before Simulation" and obtain infinite Mesh Velocities (in x, y and z). I tried to put them zero in the Initial Conditions and even as a Body Force, I tried with and without "Restart Before Initial Conditions=True". Whatever I do, MeshUpdate Solver leads to infinite MeshVelocity values and then my Temperature Solver crashes because of this. If I skip the MeshUpdate, the temperature field is fine.
Also all variables are correctly read during the restart and the MeshVelocities are 0 at the end of simulation b).

Does anyone have an idea why I get these infinite values? And what should they be? Zero as in simulation b) or some real value?

Thanks a lot,
Martina
tzwinger
Site Admin

Re: infinite MeshVelocities

Post by tzwinger »

Martina,
if you anyhow do not need the Mesh Velocity, why don't you set:

Code: Select all

Compute Mesh Velocity = Logical False
?
Why does it produce non-sense?:
In the code it reads as follows:

MeshVelocity = ( MeshUpdate - Solver % Variable % PrevValues(:,1) ) / dt
My suspicion is, that you have dt=0 in case of steady state run.
Regards,

Thomas
Martina

Post by Martina »

Thanks for the quick reply.

Run c) is a transient simulation, so dt shouldn't be zero, besides if Elmer is using the value of dt from the simulation b) (which is steady-state) since I execute the Solver "Before Simulation"?

The problem is, that I do not know if I need them or not. The conclusion of some older discussions here in the forum was that they should be zero in run b), but I'm unsure about the situation in run c)!

Martina
Last edited by Martina on 24 Feb 2014, 15:18, edited 1 time in total.
tzwinger
Site Admin

Post by tzwinger »

I think, by keeping the geometry constant in c), you also should omit any ALE related corrections, i.e., keep Mesh Velocity at zero.

-Thomas
raback
Site Admin

Post by raback »

Hi

My guess is that the "before simulation" slot does not itilialize the "dt" at all. After all what would the timestep be? It makes sense only within the timestepping loop.

-Peter
Martina

Post by Martina »

Ok, thanks Thomas and Peter.
I'm using

now and simulations do look ok!
Martina