Electromagnetic induction with external magnetic field.

Numerical methods and mathematical models of Elmer
Daniel_25
Antispam: Yes

Electromagnetic induction with external magnetic field.

Post by Daniel_25 »

Hi,

I'm pretty new to the Elmer solver and I need help to simulate induced current. I do not know how to do it, I have looked in the manuals and forums but I do not see it clearly. What I want to do to start testing is to put a magnetic field and see how an induced current is generated in a coil. I have not downloaded Elmer's part related to electromagnetism, but I can not find it either. So my questions are, where is this part of ELMER and what is it related to electromagnetism? Can you put a magnetic field that varies sinusoidally throughout the space? If so, how would it be done?

Thanks in advance.
raback
Site Admin

Re: Electromagnetic induction with external magnetic field.

Post by raback »

Hi

If you installed Elmer you probably have it. Are you a GUI or CLI person? If you use the GUI you need to move the XML files from edf-extra to edf directory (if you're lucky enough that they exist).

The module you would be using is MagentocDynamics, see Ch. 16 in Elmer Models Manual. There are tens for consistency tests for these equations, most of them starting with "mgdyn". You can prescribe "Magnetic Flux Density" as BC. It can depend on time but if your material model is also linear you might consider using the harmonic solver if your wake is harmonic.

-Peter
Daniel_25

Re: Electromagnetic induction with external magnetic field.

Post by Daniel_25 »

Hi Peter,

First of all, thanks! I'm GUI in a moment I was able to put the "mgdyn". Done a first simulation but I have not got any current, because I have not put a magnetic field. I do not know how to put it because I only see the option of magnetic field in bounday conditions and therefore it is only a surface, not the closed area in the coil, so, should I put an air surface in the middle of the coil to simulate it? Or is it about infinity BC?

Thanks