statcurrent benchmark problem

Numerical methods and mathematical models of Elmer
selverston
Antispam: Yes

statcurrent benchmark problem

Post by selverston »

Hello,
Just trying to do a very simple static current conduction problem to make sure I have things working properly, but I'm not getting quite what I expect.
I have a rectangular copper bar with dimensions of 1"x1"x6" and want to calculate the voltage drop when 1.0 amps of current is flowing through it.

The analytical solution from R = rho*L/A and V=IR is about 4e-06 volts, but the simulation shows 2.6e-06 volts. Any suggestions on what I might try to get a simulation that matches the analytical sol'n? I' tried playing with mesh size and convergence settings but this hasn't worked yet. Thanks in advance!
Best,
Steve
Attachments
egproject.xml
(123.62 KiB) Downloaded 200 times
case.sif
(2.24 KiB) Downloaded 224 times
Screenshot_2019-08-25_17-28-38.png
Screenshot_2019-08-25_17-28-38.png (21.47 KiB) Viewed 2335 times
kevinarden

Re: statcurrent benchmark problem

Post by kevinarden »

Looks like you loaded the material properties from the library. The default stored values in elmer are in SI units. May want to check units for consistency.
annier

Re: statcurrent benchmark problem

Post by annier »

Hi Steve,
How about putting a neumann boundary condition at inlet (current density=1.00) and a dirichlet boundary condition (e.g. ground voltage , potential =0) at the outlet? For laplacian of potential, an inlet current of 1 means , outlet of 1 , owing to the principle of continuity of charge.

Please add current density BC = true , when using the neumann boundary condition.
The logical function will activate the current density boundary condition.

Code: Select all

Boundary Condition 1
  Target Boundaries(1) = 5 
  Name = "current_in"
  Current Density BC = Logical True !!!!!Please add this line to the boundary condition
  Current Density = 1.000
End

Boundary Condition 2
  Target Boundaries(1) = 6 
 ! Name = "current_out"
 ! Current Density = -1.000
 Potential = 0.0
End

Boundary Condition 3
  Target Boundaries(4) = 4 1 3 2 
  Name = "current_0"
  Current Density BC = Logical True !!!!!Please add this line to the boundary condition
  Current Density = 0
End

Yours Sincerely,
Anil Kunwar
Anil Kunwar
Faculty of Mechanical Engineering, Silesian University of Technology, Gliwice