Couped FSI for Pipe Vibrations

Numerical methods and mathematical models of Elmer
alexbrown
Antispam: Yes

Couped FSI for Pipe Vibrations

Post by alexbrown »

I am trying to analysis pip vibrations caused by internal pipe flows. Is that possible to use Elemer for this purpose?

I noted elmer has FSI module and can do transisent analysis. If it can be done by elmer, is there any examples for this?
kevinarden

Re: Couped FSI for Pipe Vibrations

Post by kevinarden »

alexbrown

Post by alexbrown »

Many thanks, Kevin. This is indeed a very good case for FSI analysis.

As flow-Induced Vibration is a large-amplitude, low frequency vibration that occur in piping systems when carrying high-velocity turbulent fluids, do you think Elmer should be capable of analysising high-velocity turbulent fluids?
kevinarden wrote: 14 Jul 2020, 12:26 viewtopic.php?f=18&t=7045
kevinarden

Post by kevinarden »

Turbulent is not yet a strong attribute of Elmer, this disussion provides information on turbulent flow and development activities in Elmer.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6995&hilit=turbulent
raback
Site Admin

Post by raback »

Hi,

In FSI Elmer has been used, for example, in acoustics to coupled harmonic N-S and in arterial flow simulations. Both of these fields have rather small (or even zero) Reynolds numbers.

Coupling of turbulent flows and vibrations in Elmer is probably not too much visited territory. I might consider using OpenFOAM or similar code to do the F part and transport the flows to S. Of course there always has to be a pioneer so feel free to try Elmer-only but I'm afraid there are no cases to copy-cat.

-Peter