About Second ElmerGUI tutorial

The graphical user interface of Elmer
Gary R
Antispam: Yes

About Second ElmerGUI tutorial

Post by Gary R »

hi all,
I am trying to get through the second ElmerGUI tutorial and the instructions look nothing like what I see in ElmerGUI. The author is talking about Model PDE, but there is no general PDE listed. They also talk about Diffusion coefficients and Reaction coefficients that do not appear in any of the stock PDE's. I only have PDE's for Linear elasticity, Heat Equation, Navier-Stokes, Electrostatics and Helmholtz Equation. There are also Result Output and Mesh Update - which I have yet to use. I did notice the statement "The menu structures for the case are defined in model-pde.xml". Does this mean that I need to somehow load that file?

Kubuntu17.04 OS
Athlon FX 4 processors

Gary R.
raback
Site Admin

Re: About Second ElmerGUI tutorial

Post by raback »

Hi

Reading from the tutorial:
"The menu structures for the case are defined in model-pde.xml. If after starting you cannot find the menu structures add the file to the edf directory of your installation, or append the menu structures within ElmerGUI."

So you need to acative this
https://github.com/ElmerCSC/elmerfem/bl ... el-pde.xml

In either way.

-Peter
Gary R

Post by Gary R »

Thanks for the reply Peter. I did move the .xml file from the edf-extra directory to the edf directory. Nothing happened. The model-pde.xml file didn't show up in the ElmerGUI model menu bar. Do I need to do something else to activate the file. I restarted ElmerGUI but that didn't help.

Gary R
annier

Post by annier »

Hi Gary,
How did you install Elmer in your Kubuntu?

In my context, I installed Elmer in Ubuntu using Launchpad (viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4413).

1. I have checked the location of ElmerGUI

Code: Select all

whereis ElmerGUI
ElmerGUI: /usr/bin/ElmerGUI /usr/lib/ElmerGUI /usr/share/ElmerGUI
2. In 'usr/share/ElmerGUI',
I have the model-pde.xml copied from edf-extra directory to edf directory.
Then I opened an ElmerGUI gui.
Model PDE equations in ElmerGUI from xml files
Model PDE equations in ElmerGUI from xml files
ElmerGUI-equations.jpg (65.34 KiB) Viewed 5087 times

Yours Sincerely,
Anil Kunwar
Anil Kunwar
Faculty of Mechanical Engineering, Silesian University of Technology, Gliwice
Gary R

Post by Gary R »

Thanks Anil. I installed Elmer from source code. My file structure is a bit different than yours but your comments solved my problem. On my system everything is installed under /usr/local. My mystake was to switch model_PDE.xml in the source code instead in the /usr/local/share/ElmerGUI directory. Once I did that everything worked.

I learned a thing or two in the process. I found all of the goodies in edf-extra. There is some stuff in there that I can really use.

Thanks again.

Gary R
rebaz

Post by rebaz »

i agree with the third comment about that....
Graduated from Soran University with First Class Degree with Honours in Computer Science