Cantilever Beam - Theory vs Elmer results

The graphical user interface of Elmer
kevinarden
Antispam: Yes

Re: Cantilever Beam - Theory vs Elmer results

Post by kevinarden »

Yes it should be my only point was the mass should be constant. Although deformed the total volume should be the same and the density is constant.
mzenker

Post by mzenker »

Hi,

without knowing the details, I would say that a mass difference of at most 1% between both models is not that bad. Maybe a finer mesh would reduce the discrepancy?

Matthias
kevinarden

Post by kevinarden »

Agreed the results are good. Could be the solution is not fully converged. A finer mesh would improve convergence.
asandip

Post by asandip »

Thank you! That answers my question.
annier

Post by annier »

Anjali,
Nice question for benchmarking Elmer simulations.
What Matthias has said is correct. Elmer, through FEM, solves the equations for all the mesh elements, and then integrates them to give the integrated solution over the volume.
The size of mesh element has effect on the simulation results in FEM. For an example, if you draw a circular geometry. When you make a coarse mesh, sometimes the mesh appears as a polygon of numerous sides. The difference in area of these geometries will lead to the difference in mass (in FEM calculation). Now, if you make the mesh very fine, the mesh will appear more circular (number of sides of polygon will be greater), and the difference in area between the original circular geometry and mesh will decrease.
You can post the results of mass for two mesh element sizes (coarse and fine mesh). The fine mesh will lead to mass calculation, nearer to the analytical one.

Yours Sincerely,
Anil Kunwar
Anil Kunwar
Faculty of Mechanical Engineering, Silesian University of Technology, Gliwice