Body Property confusion

The graphical user interface of Elmer
Gary R
Antispam: Yes

Body Property confusion

Post by Gary R »

I am attempting to run the CarterPumpHousing problem from the ElmerGUI Manual. I am confused about the use of the "Body Property" that shows up in several of the model setup pages. What is the scope of Body Property 1 when setting the ambient temperature or when setting the Body Force? Could someone please elucidate.

Gary R
kevinarden

Re: Body Property confusion

Post by kevinarden »

An mesh consists of one or more bodies. This tutorial has one body.

To those bodies you can apply an equation or multiple equations, different equations to different bodies, or the same equation to multiple bodies. This tutorial applies the heat equation to the 1 body.

To the bodies you can apply materials, same material to multiple bodies, or different materials to some. Tutorial applies aluminum to the body from the material library.

To the bodies you can apply initial conditions, the tutorial I have does not. However, you could apply an initial temperature for example.

To the bodies you can apply body forces, in this case a heat body force is applied.

Then there are boundary conditions, boundary conditions are applied to boundary elements. For 3D solid geometry boundary elements are surface elements for 2D elements boundary elements are edges.

in this case a boundary condition of a specific temperature is applied to some of the surfaces. Other boundary conditions could be displacement, loads, radiation, etc. depending on the equations used.
kevinarden

Post by kevinarden »

This is the most recent ElmerGUI tutorial manual

http://www.nic.funet.fi/pub/sci/physics ... orials.pdf

It is also helpful to look at the elmer models manual, overview manual, an elmersolver manual

http://www.nic.funet.fi/pub/sci/physics/elmer/doc/
Gary R

Post by Gary R »

Thanks for the reply. I have all of the up to date manuals. I just found the wording a bit confusing in the ElmerGUI manual. Your missives helped. I started with the manual instead of the tutorial because the type is bigger. At 83 I need all of the help I can get.

Gary R,
mzenker

Post by mzenker »

Hi Gary,
Gary R wrote: 17 Apr 2020, 20:30 I am confused about the use of the "Body Property" that shows up in several of the model setup pages. What is the scope of Body Property 1 when setting the ambient temperature or when setting the Body Force? Could someone please elucidate.
"Body Property 1" is just the default name given to Body 1 by ElmerGUI. If you want, you can change it to something more meaningful, e.g. "Main Block".

HTH, Matthias