Newby: how to solve simple 2D electrostatic problem

The graphical user interface of Elmer
Gumersindo
Antispam: Yes

Newby: how to solve simple 2D electrostatic problem

Post by Gumersindo »

I just started to work with FEM software and I know basically nothing, so I apologize if my question is stupid.

I want to calculate the E field created by 4 plates at potential +V and -V in the space between the plates. I don't even know if I can define the position of the plates in Elmer, so I tried by defining my system in FreeCAD and exporting it as a .step file (following some tutorial online). By doing this I get the error: "The mesh generators of ElmerGUI are currently unable to handle cad files with multipole shapes. Please consider using external software for mesh generation in this case."

This is what I want to do:
1) Define the plates in the space.
2) Set constant voltage in each one of them.
3) Calculate x and y components of the electric field in the plane of the plates.
4) Generate a .dat file or similar with the values of both components as a function of the x and y coordinates.

I don't even know how to start, so any advice is welcome.
kevinarden
Antispam: Yes

Re: Newby: how to solve simple 2D electrostatic problem

Post by kevinarden »

Goto the emergency.org site goto documentation to get tutorials and manuals work through the tutorials and read the Elmer models manual and Elmer solver manual. Then search this forum for the topic you are interested in