Application fields of Elmer

General discussion about Elmer

What are your main application fields of Elmer?

Heat transfer
27%
Fluid mechanics
24%
Solid mechanics
19%
Electromagnetics
22%
Quantum mechanics
2%
Something else (please specify)
7%

Total votes: 323

Franz Pichler
Antispam: Yes

Re: Application fields of Elmer

Post by Franz Pichler »

Hello,

i awould like to couple heatsolver static current solvers, and chemical diffusion as well as maybe some boundary reactions. A lot of this in the same domain. What i am interested is the capabilitis of the monolithic solvers.

One further thing i would be really interested in is the coupling of 2 d and 3d domains. I know this is not the elmer philosophy . but if one has very thin structures that are standing on very bulky structures you are forced to use way too small elements to achieve good aspect ratios of your elements. replacing the thin structures with 2d (maybe but not necasserily shell structures) elements would make that problem disappear.

best regards

Franz
slav

Post by slav »

Hi,

is Elmer suitable for problems like in the link http://www.uam.es/proyectosinv/plasmonq ... ld/020.pdf ("Focusing light with a single subwavelength aperture flanked
by surface corrugations" F. Garcia-Vidal et al.) that is slits or metallic diffraction gratings (for VIS or IR light) and surface plasmons? If it is what is the easiest way to start? I have already downloaded Elmer and don't know if learning it is worth my time :)
raback
Site Admin

Post by raback »

Hi

What physical equation would describe the phenomena? Is it vector valued Helmholtz equation with absorbing BCs? Or does it deduce to scalar field in 2D?

For the latter the standard Helmholtz solver could be used. For the former some further development is needed. If the equation is something different I would have to see it to make an assessment.

-Peter
fmarinho

Post by fmarinho »

Hi all! Would be interesting to have the Poisson solver for the electromagnetics package to be able employ non-linear densities which are dependant on the potential itself. That way it would be feasible to simulate semiconductor devices such as pn junctions, semiconductor detectors, solar panels parts and so on. Is there anyone working on that aspect at the moment?
kaka

Post by kaka »

Hello,

I'm new at the forum and thats my question.

Can Elmer solve the problem of eddy currents, which are in a metal sheet, because of a near ac coil? Where can i find a tutorium description for a problem like that?
teofilBitron

Post by teofilBitron »

Hi Elmer Team,
Mainly I use Elmer for MagnetoStatic and MagnetoDynamic.
Recently I use magneto analisys combined whith mesh adaptation in order to analize different set-up whith only one mesh model or transient analisys with structural coupling.
Acoustic in the past that involves free mode structural modal analisys.
Thermic heat transfer but that also involves fluid dynamics for free or forced convection.

Many thanks, Teofil
rebaz

Post by rebaz »

heat transfer
Graduated from Soran University with First Class Degree with Honours in Computer Science
shahpayal

Post by shahpayal »

It is very useful thread for me. Thanks for sharing.
lazyTom

Post by lazyTom »

Hi all,

I'm using Elmer mainly for electromagnetics. Sometimes I do mechanics and acoustics.

I have't been active in the last year but before that I have seen big improvements in electromagnetics.

The part where I would like to see more developed is mortar periodic BC and associated solver convergence robustness (I'm aware this is a tough topic but you asked the question :mrgreen: )

Regards,

Marco
raback
Site Admin

Post by raback »

Hi Marco,

If you have conforming periodic BCs. Then you could look for recent developments with "Conforming BC". Perhaps you can open a thread on this to discuss in more detail.

-Peter