Runnning viewfactors.exe from the commandline

General discussion about Elmer
BDesco
Antispam: Yes

Runnning viewfactors.exe from the commandline

Post by BDesco »

Hello,
Searching for a solution for a viewfactors problem i've found some mentions of running viewfactors from the command line.
How do I do that? What are the switches etc .. Is there any documentation about this?

Running viewfactors gives me:

Code: Select all

ERROR:: ElmerSolver: Unable to find ELMERSOLVER_STARTINFO, cannot execute.
I tried adding the location of ELMERSOLVER_STARTINFO but I must be doing something wrong as I'm getting the same error.

Thanks.
kevinarden

Re: Runnning viewfactors.exe from the commandline

Post by kevinarden »

When using viewfactors the ELMERSOLVER_STARTINFO file must be in the working directory and contain the name of the sif file being used you would execute the ElmerSolver by typing
ElmerSolver
The viewfactors program uses the sif file in ELMERSOLVER_STARTINFO to run
It is possible to run sif files without ELMERSOLVER_STARTINFO by typing ElmerSolver mysif.sif but viewfactors will not work this way.

Since it can not find ELMERSOLVER_STARTINFO file then there is an issue with your working directory an file locations.

Get all of the files in one directory, have an ELMERSOLVER_STARTINFO that contains the name of the sif file and type change to that directory in the command line and type
ElmerSolver
kevinarden

Post by kevinarden »

If you open a termical/command window and type
ElmerSolver
it should run but not find the sif file, this confirms the path to the executable is correct and it exits
same for
ElmerGrid
ElmerGUI

If the executables are installed but can't be found then the path is not set correctly
BDesco

Post by BDesco »

Thank you kevinarden,
I changed the working directory (cd path in Windows Command terminal) to my project folder and then ran viewfactor.exe by typing the complete path ""C:\Program Files\Elmer 8.4-Release\bin\ViewFactors.exe" and that worked perfect.