ElmerPost fails to build on a linux machine

Post processing utility for Elmer
einatlev

ElmerPost fails to build on a linux machine

Post by einatlev »

Hello
I am trying to build ElmerPost o my Dell 8-core Linux Ubuntu machine. I get an error:
configure: WARNING: Couldn't determine tcl.h and tk.h location. Specify it manually with CFLAGS and CXXFLAGS
configure: error: Tcl/tk not found, use TCLTK_LIBS environment variable or --with-tcltk="-L/path/to/ -ltcl8.4 -ltk8.4" to point to it's location.
make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found. Stop.
make: *** No rule to make target `install'. Stop.

However, Tcl.Tk libraries are available:
einatlev@diana:~/Elmer/release/5.4.1$ locate libtcl
/usr/lib/libtcl8.4.so.0
/usr/lib/libtcl8.5.so.0
einatlev@diana:~/Elmer/release/5.4.1$ locate libtk
/usr/lib/libtk8.4.so.0
/usr/lib/libtk8.5.so.0

What am I missing?
thanks!!
Juha
Site Admin

Re: ElmerPost fails to build on a linux machine

Post by Juha »

Hi,

you should perhaps install tcl/tk development packages?
Juha
gostrc

Post by gostrc »

I am also getting this error with a perfectly fine installation of tcl and tk (with development files). This seems to be a bug of some sorts.
razi

Post by razi »

Dear all,
gostrc wrote:I am also getting this error with a perfectly fine installation of tcl and tk (with development files). This seems to be a bug of some sorts.
Don't know if this is still relevant, but I kind of agree with this. I just had the same problem with elmer 4.5.1, freshly got from the svn repo. Finally managed to install ElmerPost, but needed to tweak the configure file in the subdir post to suppress the error so configure can resume.

I just change the first occurance of acx_tcltk_ok to:

acx_tcltk_ok="yes" (originally "no" as initialization)

then configure with the --with-tcltk switch:

./configure --prefix=/opt/elmer CC=gcc CXX=g++ FC=gfortran F77=gfortran --with-tcltk="-L/usr/lib64/ -ltcl8.5 -ltk8.5"

So far I see no problem when using ElmerPost.

My system (Opensuse 11.1 64bit) already has tcl.h & tk.h in /usr/include. For some reason configure misses it. I'm not expert in configure, otherwise I would write a patch for it.

Razi
raback
Site Admin
Antispam: Yes

Post by raback »

Hi Razi

Oh, we should probably make a new release on sourceforge repository. I guess you were referring to the 5.4.1 version under "release" therein? Unfortunately we do not currently make a distinction between stable and development versions. We strive to backward compability and run daily the more than 120 minimal test cases that come with Elmer. Each one sends any major code commits only after passing these tests. So from our point of view the "trunk" is almost always more stable than the "release". And certainly has more features. For example, the Debian/Ubuntu version (by hazelsct) of Elmer is based on the trunk version.

I know this is not the ideal state of things and we will soon release on official version after a long time. In the meantime, if possible I recommend everybody to use the trunk version rather than the 18 month old 5.4.1 release. Then also the bug reports are more relevant.

-Peter
razi

Post by razi »

raback wrote:Hi Razi

Oh, we should probably make a new release on sourceforge repository. I guess you were referring to the 5.4.1 version under "release" therein? Unfortunately we do not currently make a distinction between stable and development versions. We strive to backward compability and run daily the more than 120 minimal test cases that come with Elmer. Each one sends any major code commits only after passing these tests. So from our point of view the "trunk" is almost always more stable than the "release". And certainly has more features. For example, the Debian/Ubuntu version (by hazelsct) of Elmer is based on the trunk version.
Thanks alot Peter for pointing this out. Yup, I was referring to the 5.4.1 release version after downloading it via svn, thinking that it was the latest stable one. I usually avoid trunk (which I also noted in the elmerfem dir) since in my mind it usually is in beta or even alpha state.

With trunk, compiling in the subdir post is a breeze. The only glitch is that for the FTGL lib, I need to tweak configure to suppress the warning of not finding ftgl.h. On my opensuse 11.1, the FTGL headers are in /usr/include/FTGL. configure gives me warning even with my setup "-I/usr/include/FTGL" for the flags. Anyhows, ElmerPost seems ok including the fonts rendering.

Thanks again,

Razi