How to define an Orthotropic plate

Numerical methods and mathematical models of Elmer
rimple_sandhu
Antispam: Yes

How to define an Orthotropic plate

Post by rimple_sandhu »

Hello guys:

I am a newbie to Elmer and I am trying to model an aircraft wing using the linear plate solver. The wing (a cantilever beam) is orthotropic and has E_1, E_2, G, mu parameters given for it. However, I am unable to assign those values as the plate solver allows for to assign only E_1 and mu values and not the whole youngs modulus matrix like the linear elasticity solver. Please help.

-Rimple
rimple_sandhu

Re: How to define an Orthotropic plate

Post by rimple_sandhu »

Any help?
annier

Re: How to define an Orthotropic plate

Post by annier »

Hi rimple,
In the smitc solver, http://www.nic.funet.fi/pub/sci/physics ... #chapter.8, the elasticity tensors (C_{ij}) are defined on the basis of E and nu.
Please refer to Eqs. 8.15, 8.16 and 8.17.
Since it was defined for a perforated plate, the material has only one modulus of Elasticity (E) and there is the formulation of parameters a,b. If your material has E_{i} varying, you can do the trick by defining the values of a,b so that the C_{ij} values are correlated with your E_i values. Or, you can modify the Smitc solver to not use a,b and instead define C_{ij} as input parameters from solver input file. This is like creating modified Smitc solver and compiling it with elmerf90 wrapper tool.

Yours Sincerely,
Anil Kunwar
Anil Kunwar
Faculty of Mechanical Engineering, Silesian University of Technology, Gliwice