install MUMPS solver (Windows)

Discussion about building and installing Elmer
schewitz
Antispam: Yes

install MUMPS solver (Windows)

Post by schewitz »

Hi,

i try to compute some Eigenvalues with ElmerGUI under Windows. So I selected MUMPS solver. But the computation stops with the error that MUMPS is not being installed. Is there any possibility to install the MUMPS solver for ElmerGUI under Windows?

Best
Matthias
panosvar

Re: install MUMPS solver (Windows)

Post by panosvar »

I'm interested in this one too. Anyone here knows how to do this?
raback
Site Admin

Post by raback »

Hi

The whole Elmer team is always using Linux. The Windows installers have been created by a virtual machine which unfortunately has had some issues lately, and the underlying Windows Server 2008 is not even supported anymore. You see there are no new builds after Xmas.

This old installer didn't include MUMPS. At that time (~2015) it was notoriously difficult to build it.

We are in the process of renewing the windows installer to be based on fresh library components, and fresh Windows version. Quite many things work almost out of the box with msys2 + gfortran.

What comes to MUMPS, it seems that there is some hope to have it easily included using tested cmake recipes, see the 1st link in:
http://mumps.enseeiht.fr/index.php?page=links

If you need MUMPS very quickly you need to compile yourself or use Linux (VM or laucnhpad).

-Peter

PS. If there are some interested Windows hacks help with creating a new windows build would be most welcome. Btw, there has been nice recent developments of ElmerGUI by saeki lately, so the new Windows installer will have additional nice stuff to offer.
panosvar

Post by panosvar »

Installing the Elmer VM did the trick for me.
foadsf

Post by foadsf »

Sadly the MUMPS solver is still a big issue on Windows OS. Please consider that a great portion of your potential industrial users is on Windows. And these types of boiler plate issues are not encouraging.
foadsf

Post by foadsf »

I was able to run a decent version of Elmer under Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL). Assuming you have admin rights on your computer
  • If you have Hyper-V available (you have Windows Pro or better, Windows Home doesn't work, and you have hardware virtualization activated via BIOS), then just follow these instructions to install Ubuntu
  • If you don't have Hyper-V, then run

Code: Select all

wsl --set-default-version 1
    in an elevated Powershell terminal, before installing any Linux distro
  • then simply follow the instructions from here to get Elmer installed