ElmerGui on MacOS

Discussion about building and installing Elmer
mdb
Antispam: Yes

ElmerGui on MacOS

Post by mdb »

Just installed ElmerGui on 2019 MacBook Pro (intel).
Trying to run tutorials (flow example and simple 2D plate)
The geometry mesh displays fine, but Solver won't start for either problem.

It turns out that CMAKE/Make put the "FlowSolve" library (for example, along with several other library files) at: "$HOME/Elmer/build/fem/src/modules/FlowSolve.dylib". No "share" folder anywhere in the directories that were created.

So, ElmerGui cannot find the solver files it is looking for.

So, is there a $PATH or other environment variable that needs to be set/modified so ElmerGui can find these files? If so, what is the secret? Elmer seems to include a "...share..." folder somewhere into the search path, and my install did not create a "share" folder anywhere.

To make it work for me for now, I added a "share/elmersolver" folder under $ELMER_HOME (i.e., under ".../Elmer/build") and then added a symlink file named "lib" that is a symlink of the ".../modules" folder that MAKE created to hold the solver dylib files). This seems to work, but it has been a lot of work to uncover what is going on and it would be nice to know how the files and pointers are supposed to be organized so it is less work going forward, since this scheme probably will break when the Elmer code gets updated.

Below is feedback listing where Elmer has been looking for the file before now... Note, there was no "share" folder created anywhere by CMAKE in the Elmer file structure created from my build/install process.

dlopen(/Users/mattblake/Elmer/build/share/elmersolver/lib/FlowSolve.dylib, 0x0002): tried: '/usr/local/bin/../lib/FlowSolve.dylib' (no such file), '(null)/FlowSolve.dylib' (no such file), '/Users/mattblake/Elmer/build/share/elmersolver/lib/FlowSolve.dylib' (no such file), '/System/Volumes/Preboot/Cryptexes/OS/Users/mattblake/Elmer/build/share/elmersolver/lib/FlowSolve.dylib' (no such file), '/Users/mattblake/Elmer/build/share/elmersolver/lib/FlowSolve.dylib' (no such file)
kevinarden

Re: ElmerGui on MacOS

Post by kevinarden »

ELMER_HOME = "wherever elmer is installed"
ELMERGUI_HOME = %ELMER_HOME%\share\ElmerGUI
ELMER_LIB = %ELMER_HOME%\share\elmersolver\lib
PATH = %PATH%;%ELMER_HOME%\bin;%ELMER_HOME%\lib (however path is set on a MAC)
mdb

Post by mdb »

My point is that none of those directories you specify were created on my computer by the current CMAKE scripts. So, getting the right files into directories with these names, or figuring out what the corresponding appropriate directory names are, is not clear without a map.
kevinarden

Post by kevinarden »

Did you install ElmerSolver or just ElmerGUI?