What does the "restrict mesh size on surfaces by STL density" option do in the GUI

The graphical user interface of Elmer
krishnab
Antispam: Yes

What does the "restrict mesh size on surfaces by STL density" option do in the GUI

Post by krishnab »

Hello. I am totally new to Elmer and was working through the first GUI tutorial. One of the first actions is to
adjust the mesh and activate the option "Restrict mesh size to surfaces by STL density." I was just wondering what
this option actually does? Like is there a definition of what this option does? I understand that STL is a type
of mesh file. Why is the mesh restricted on the surface versus inside of the volume? I just wanted to to make sure
I understand some of these details. Thanks.
kevinarden

Re: What does the "restrict mesh size on surfaces by STL density" option do in the GUI

Post by kevinarden »

I would not focus on the meshing options and capabilities within Elmer. Most users use more advanced mesh generators such as gmsh and Salome, for post processing results Paraview is the primary tool. Elmer's mesh generation is for more simple structured geometries or as in the first GUI tutorial a known geometry and solution. The focus of the Elmer tutorials is learning the solvers. setting up boundary conditions, materials, initial conditions, equations, etc. If you are not familiar with meshing, then meshing will come later, and likely Elmer will not be your choice for meshing.
krishnab

Re: What does the "restrict mesh size on surfaces by STL density" option do in the GUI

Post by krishnab »

@kevinarden Thanks so much for the response. Ahh, I understand your response and get what you mean. Right, I have used gmsh and Salome a bit in the past, so I would probably use those for meshing anyway. Okay, so I will just focus on the solver setup in the tutorials. I was starting with the Gui tutorials but will soon move to the non-gui tutorials. Thanks again for setting me in the right direction.