Edit solver settings does not work under Ubuntu 10.10

Clearly defined bug reports and their fixes
cleo11081

Edit solver settings does not work under Ubuntu 10.10

Post by cleo11081 »

Good day,

I've installed Elmer from version 9.10 and made it worked under 10.04 successfully with about a dozen different models of cfd simulation in 3-D.

All of a sudden, under 10.10 when I am using the Edit Solver settings, I am getting thrown out by Elmer. (it crashes). It happen on a new model that I just created and I cannot make my older models work neither. I usually create my models in 3-D using gmesh to mesh. I've also imported my step files models directly in Elmer. Elmer was doing the meshing and then when I try to Edit solver settings, same result. It crashes.

Am I the only one to whom this happens ?
Last edited by cleo11081 on 11 Feb 2011, 23:45, edited 2 times in total.
cleo11081

Re: Edit solver settings finally works under Ubuntu 10.10

Post by cleo11081 »

I reply to my own bug ! I've found the solution !

First, the way to fix this bug is to remove completely Elmer using Synaptic Package Manager and make a re-installation.

1- Go on Synaptic Package Manager
2- Make a quick search using the work Elmer. Every components which makes Elmer will appear including the documentation.
3- Click on each marking square. A installation/removal menu will appear. Mark for COMPLETE REMOVAL, not just removal. You may keep your documentation files, they do not harm anything. Once everything properly marked, click Apply. This will remove Elmer completely.
4- When removal is complete, you may use Ubuntu software center to re-install Elmer. You will notice that Ubuntu gives you the opportunity to install equations modules. It is important to install them.

Some remarks:
1- For those of you who would be tempted to uninstall using the Ubuntu software center facilities, this will not work (I know, I've tested it).
2- Making a new Elmer installation on a 10.10 version on which Elmer has not been tested will work OK. (actually this is this propriety that guided me to the solution).

To Elmer authorities: For some reason, changing from 10.04 to 10.10 deactivates the equations modules which makes Edit solver settings not working. It may be a good idea to communicate with Canonical and asking them or submitting them a script that would do the uninstallation/installation done automaticaly when making an Ubuntu upgrade.

I will monitor with attention o what will happen on the next Ubuntu upgrade.

Have a nice day everyone.
hazelsct

Re: Edit solver settings does not work under Ubuntu 10.10

Post by hazelsct »

Hello,

This behavior is odd, I wonder what is happening. The solver selections are supposed to be preserved across upgrades, so the new version installs the right symlinks and everything works.

Let me see if I can reproduce the problem in a chroot environment...

-Adam