Obtaining a 2D slice through 3D display?

Post processing utility for Elmer
Captain Slow

Obtaining a 2D slice through 3D display?

Post by Captain Slow »

As per the title, I want to make my data easier to interpret by making a 2D slice through my 3D object, by this I mean creating a plane at, say, constant z-coordinate and creating a display akin to "surfaces" so that the colour variation refers to velocity (I'm using the N-S equation).

If the above is possible, would it then be possible to output the velocities at each co-ordinate along the 2D plane in a text file or similar so we can use then in a differnet calculation?

I suspect my first question is achievable-apologies if I have missed anything obvious that tells me how to do it! I am largely using the VTK postprocessor (it seems to be easier to work with, for me) but am also happy to use the postprocessor if thats easier for this application.

Thanks in advance for any help,

John
Juha
Site Admin

Re: Obtaining a 2D slice through 3D display?

Post by Juha »

hi, both the elmergui internal postprocessor and elmerpost can display
2d cuts using the isosurface display mode: select one of the coordinate arrays as the surface variable, also set the color variable you want to display on this slice. Neither directly support saving the values at those slices though, mayby some other postprocessor?

Regards, juha
Captain Slow

Re: Obtaining a 2D slice through 3D display?

Post by Captain Slow »

Ah excellent, quites simple and something I should have noticed!

We will have to investigate saving the values, quite possibly we could write a matlab code to extract them from the output file.

Thankyou again,

john