How to get in-between output results of solver ?

Numerical methods and mathematical models of Elmer
Fem_Guy
Antispam: Yes

How to get in-between output results of solver ?

Post by Fem_Guy »

hi ,

Is it possible to get in-betweeen output results of solver during problem solving or after solving process bundled as output file. Being more verbose, if I solve plane stress problem with Linear direct method, do the solver can produce the output for shape function matrix, local stiffness matrix of element, assembly of global stiffness matrix element by element as numerical output. And same output demand if I choose the iterative method.

Is that achievable with simply playing around with GUI settings or do I have to use programatical level ?

Regards,
raback
Site Admin

Re: How to get in-between output results of solver ?

Post by raback »

Hi

You can output the global matrix equation in ascii format with the following keywords in the Solver section (with a relatively fresh Elmer version):

Code: Select all

Dump system Matrix = File a.dat
Dump system RHS = File b.dat
There is no existing way of outputting the local matrix entries. For this you need to hack the codes.

-Peter
Fem_Guy

Post by Fem_Guy »

Thanks for the fast reply,

I'm pretty new to the Elmer, trying to get familiar with UI. I couldn't locate where the solver accepts that forementioned syntax as input, most possibly in SIF file ?
There is no existing way of outputting the local matrix entries. For this you need to hack the codes.
What do you mean by "hack"? I thought the source code is open.

One more thing, how to apply the point or line loads to the elastic plates, there are just pressure, spring and damping textbox in the body loads sub-menu.

Regards,
raback
Site Admin

Post by raback »

Hi

There is a free text field where you can enter keywords that are not in the GUI, and you can always do it manually on the .sif file but then there is no going back to the GUI.

Well, by "hack" I mean to code it in to the Solver you're using.

-Peter
Fem_Guy

Post by Fem_Guy »

Thanks in advance,

I don't want to be nuisance novice, but that sytnax "Dump system Matrix = File a.dat" doesn't work for me, there is no free text field in elastic plate solver at all, so I embedded it into sif file directly under the solver section w/o succes.

and how about that ?
How to apply the point or line loads to the elastic plates, there are just pressure, spring and damping textbox in the body loads sub-menu.

Regards,
raback
Site Admin

Post by raback »

Hi

The matrix dump is one of the rather fresh features and might not be in your version.

Philosophically ElmerTeam dislikes point loads. Still, if you want to apply them create them with "Target Nodes" (see Solver Manual or some tests) and set BCs for "Deflection 1 Load", for example.

-Peter
Chris_DE

Post by Chris_DE »

Hi,

concerning a missing free text input in a solver, you can edit manualy the .xml solver file with a text file editor (e.g.Notepad++, Windows Notepad...)

Then you only have to add some code lines in the section where you want to get a free text input (e.g. Equation, Bodyforce, Initial condition, Boundary condition)

In your case, edit the file elasticplate.xml in the \Elmer6.2\bin\edf

The file begins with:

<?xml version='1.0' encoding='UTF-8'?>
<!DOCTYPE edf>
<edf version="1.0" >
   <PDE Name="Elastic Plates" >
      <Name>Elastic Plates</Name>
at this point, insert the following code before the keyword <solver>:

<Equation>
	     <Parameter Widget="Label">
           <Name> Free text input </Name>
         </Parameter>
		 <Parameter Widget="TextEdit" Enabled="True">
		   <Name> Free text </Name>
		   <Type> String </Type>
		   <Whatis> Free text is copied into the Equation-block of the SIF as such. </Whatis>
		   <StatusTip> Free text is copied into the Equation-block of the SIF as such. </StatusTip>
		 </Parameter>
	  </Equation>

<Solver>
         (...)
save the xml file and reopen ElmerGui to see the modifications

If you look at the structure of others xml files, you will see that the menu of ElmerGUI could be quickly customised to fit your needs.

Regards
Christophe