compilation of post fails

Discussion about building and installing Elmer
rolbit
Antispam: Yes

compilation of post fails

Post by rolbit »

Hello

I am trying to compile elmer with the compile script but get stuck in the post module. The compilation fails with the following error:

Code: Select all

mpicxx  -O3 -march=x86-64  -ftree-vectorize -funroll-loops -ffast-math -m64 -fPIC   -I/usr/include/freetype2 -Wl,--export-dynamic -L. -ldmumps -lmumps_common -lpord -lscalapack-openmpi -lblacs-openmpi -lmpi_f77 -lmpi -lHYPRE -L/home/bitterli/bin/elmer/lib -o ElmerPost ElmerPost.o geometry.o LUDecomp.o second.o cplusplus.o fttext.o teksti.o ./camera/libcamera.a ./elements/libelements.a ./modules/libmodule.a ./objects/libobjects.a ./visuals/libvisuals.a ./graphics/libgraphics.a ./glaux/libglaux.a ./tk/libtk.a -ldl -L.  -L/home/bitterli/bin/elmer/lib -lGL  -lm -lGLU -lGL  -lm -lmatc -L/usr/lib -ltk8.5 -ltcl8.5 -L/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu -lfreetype -lz 
/usr/bin/ld: ./tk/libtk.a(window.o): undefined reference to symbol 'XGetErrorText'
/usr/bin/ld: note: 'XGetErrorText' is defined in DSO /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libX11.so.6 so try adding it to the linker command line
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libX11.so.6: could not read symbols: Invalid operation
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
make[2]: *** [ElmerPost] Error 1
I found the following post viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2081 with exactly the same error that stipulated to add -lX11 to LDFLAGS. But for me this changed the error only slightly and it still fails:

Code: Select all

mpicxx  -O3 -march=x86-64  -ftree-vectorize -funroll-loops -ffast-math -m64 -fPIC   -I/usr/include/freetype2 -Wl,--export-dynamic -L. -lX11 -ldmumps -lmumps_common -lpord -lscalapack-openmpi -lblacs-openmpi -lmpi_f77 -lmpi -lHYPRE -L/home/bitterli/bin/elmer/lib -o ElmerPost ElmerPost.o geometry.o LUDecomp.o second.o cplusplus.o fttext.o teksti.o ./camera/libcamera.a ./elements/libelements.a ./modules/libmodule.a ./objects/libobjects.a ./visuals/libvisuals.a ./graphics/libgraphics.a ./glaux/libglaux.a ./tk/libtk.a -ldl -L.  -L/home/bitterli/bin/elmer/lib -lGL  -lm -lGLU -lGL  -lm -lmatc -L/usr/lib -ltk8.5 -ltcl8.5 -L/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu -lfreetype -lz 
/usr/bin/ld: ./tk/libtk.a(window.o): undefined reference to symbol 'XGetErrorText'
/usr/bin/ld: note: 'XGetErrorText' is defined in DSO /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libX11.so so try adding it to the linker command line
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libX11.so: could not read symbols: Invalid operation
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
What am I doing wrong?

thanks
rolbit
Attachments
compile_parallel.txt
compilation file
(1.17 KiB) Downloaded 433 times
config.log
(104.53 KiB) Downloaded 448 times
mzenker

Re: compilation of post fails

Post by mzenker »

Hmmm... do you really need ElmerPost? Many people write out a result file using ResultOutputSolver and view it with ParaView, which is under active development and has many practical features. In this case you could just drop ElmerPost from the compile script...

HTH,

Matthias
rolbit

Post by rolbit »

Thanks, I will have a look then at ParaView. In the meantime I also found a PPA for daily build under ubuntu here https://launchpad.net/~tehnick/+archive/elmerfem.
denis.cohen

Post by denis.cohen »

Hello Rolbit,

I am having the same problem with post.
Did you ever solve this? Could not so far.

Have you tried the PPA on ubuntu? elmerfem does not seem to be build regularly (last version on the site is 6035, 19 weeks old). Most recent svn is something like 6300.

Thank you

Denis
mzenker

Post by mzenker »

Hi,

AFAIK ElmerPost is currently not under active development and has not changed for quite some time. If ElmerPost is the only problem, you can drop it from the compilation and take it from a binary distribution.
As said above, you can consider ParaView as an alternative for postprocessing. And there is also a postprocessing module in ElmerGUI (which I have never tried, though).

HTH,

Matthias
raback
Site Admin

Post by raback »

Hi

With a rather fresh version of Elmer just putting the suffix of the Post File to .vtu will automatically add the ResultOutputSolver to write output in vtu format, optimal format for Paraview.

-Peter
denis.cohen

Post by denis.cohen »

Hi Peter,

So this mean I can safely remove the solver that ouputs paraview format in my sif file?

Thanks

Denis
raback
Site Admin

Post by raback »

Hi Denis

Yes, I would not try to have both strategies at the same time. Still, there might be cases when you need additional control and having a separate Solver section for the Solver may be a good idea.

-Peter