Getting started with Elmer for Mac

General discussion about Elmer
Jose Almeida
Antispam: Yes

Getting started with Elmer for Mac

Post by Jose Almeida »

Hi,

I've downloaded and installed Elmer GUI for Mac from http://www.trueflaw.com/pub/elmer/ and I've been running into a series of difficulties. First I found I needed the Samples Materials and edt-extra, which were not in the downloaded distribution; I think I've managed to get those from GitHub. Trying to follow tutorial nr. 1, I am able to load the mesh, after a minute or two I can see it, but then I can't do the next step, that is, vies Cad Model. Also I am unable to add the equation or the material.

Any help would be very welcome.

José
raback
Site Admin

Re: Getting started with Elmer for Mac

Post by raback »

Hi Jose

This verison is ancient. We have had around 4000 code changes since that. Thus all problems related to that are irrelevant. I suggest that you try to build the cmake version with Mac from fresh. The should be some comminity of Mac users who already do this. Unfortunately I haven't seen anybody sharing their experiences.

-Peter
annier

Post by annier »

Hi Jose,
I agree with Peter's notion that you try installing Elmer in Mac using Cmake. There are many similarities between Mac and Ubuntu regarding the software installation.

Yours
Anil Kunwar
Anil Kunwar
Faculty of Mechanical Engineering, Silesian University of Technology, Gliwice
Jose Almeida

Post by Jose Almeida »

Hi,

Thank you to both for your advice. Compiling is not something I am used to but I think I may be able to get local assistance; I won't dare do it on my own. Meanwhile I've successfully installed the Windows version in a virtual machine and I may be able to start from here.

Best regards,
José
annier

Post by annier »

Hi Jose,
The basic steps for compilation of ELMER using Cmake in an OS are:
1. Install Cmake and Cmake-gui.
2. Download elmerfem from source.
3. Make a build directory outside the downloaded elmerfem directory (for the purpose of out-of-source build). This build directory and elmerfem directory are together placed within an elmer directory
4. Use Cmake to build (configure +generate) ELMER inside the build directory i.e. outside the source elmerfem directory(out-of-source build). This will produce a Makefile.
5. Install ELMER through the Makefile.
6. Create Environmental variable in the profile to load ELMER once the terminal is accessed.

Note:
The installation of Elmer in Ubuntu using Cmake is discussed here. You can follow an analogous procedure in the Mac OS.

Yours
Anil Kunwar
Anil Kunwar
Faculty of Mechanical Engineering, Silesian University of Technology, Gliwice
jvelasco

Post by jvelasco »

Here's a series of videos on how to install Elmer.

The first one shows how to use Homebrew's gcc compiler and the second one how to install a full fledge version of Elmer with MPI and ElmeGUI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQhSYKHw3HM&t=13s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7PswPM9qtk

Cheers,

Jon