Can ReloadInput work in windows?

Numerical methods and mathematical models of Elmer
law

Can ReloadInput work in windows?

Post by law »

I have just tried ReloadInput. If the idea is to just edit and save the sif file while elmersolver is running, then I am wondering if this model will work in windows since it doesn't allow me to save the text file .

I am actually trying to implement elmer elasticity simulation into Blender, using blender for collisions and rendering etc. The above is my second strategy. My first was to stop and start elmersolver for each timestep as follows:

Code: Select all

Timestep Sizes = 0.02
  Timestep Intervals = 1
  Output Intervals = 1
  Output File = case.output
  Restart File = case.output
  Restart Position = 0
Each result is then imported into the current frame in blender's Game Engine. I did this, and the result appeared very much like an animation made up of static simulations. So that is why I am trying the ReloadInput route. If you have any help for either of the two strategies, or even another one to try, then that would be much appreciated.
raback
Site Admin
Antispam: Yes

Re: Can ReloadInput work in windows?

Post by raback »

The ReloadInput solver has been used to study transport phenomena using already computed velocity fields. It does not allow for any better restart than the normal restart functionality. The problem is how to run the case in such a way that part of the timesteps are loaded and the last one is computed. This would also result to a growing length of the file.

As for with the normal restart I don't immediately remember how it can account for history effects. However, you could have better chances if you would take two timesteps of dt/2. The inertial effects need 2nd order time-integration. So if you solve just for one new timestep and load one previous there is no way of accounting for inertia in the 1st place.

Still, for your intended usage the restart option might not be the best. Perhaps using some kind of file flags to determine the next step in the workflow might be an option. Then both solvers could run in tandem. Elmer has been used also as a library but this might be even more laborious approach. Neither will unfortunately work without coding. So perhaps if the restart works it would still be good enough...

-Peter