Elmer/Ice output formats and processing

Extension of Elmer in computational glaciology
rgladstone
Antispam: Yes

Elmer/Ice output formats and processing

Post by rgladstone »

Hi all, I think most of us use .vtu outputs and visualise outputs in Paraview. But are there other options in common use in the Elmer/Ice community? For example, can unstructured data be written to netcdf4 files and viewed in other packages, such as matlab or maybe visit? Or are some people perhaps regridding outputs on to structured grids for analysis?

I am curious to hear what other people are using, and whether there are scripts or output solvers already available (or potentially available) for others to use.

I am currently looking at options for visualising output from a coupled ice-ocean model in one package. So I may try to get the ocean model output into a form that Paraview can read. Or if Elmer/Ice output can be made compatible with other analysis or visualisation packages I would be interested in learning more.

Thanks all!
Rupert
tzwinger
Site Admin
Antispam: Yes

Re: Elmer/Ice output formats and processing

Post by tzwinger »

Hi,
just a few things: I understood that by having a VTU output, you are set what comes to Visit. I also successfully read NetCDF (CF) files into ParaView, should one like to compare such a file to Elmer output. Also, bear in mind that ResultOutputSolver provides already the following possibilities: Gid,Gmsh,Vtk,Vtu,Dx
You will have to convince me in the deeper sense to interpolate unstructured data from Elmer results to grids, if combined rendering of gridded and unstructured data is possible.

I don't have much to contribute concerning scipting. Only, that I use paraview state files for not having to reproduce certain filter/scenes for a particular case.

Regards,

Thomas