Simple Pipe Acoustics - the very basics

Numerical methods and mathematical models of Elmer
Adev
Antispam: Yes

Re: Simple Pipe Acoustics - the very basics

Post by Adev »

Thank you too Kevin,
The OS I am using is Windows 10 running on a 64 bit Intel i3 processor Lenovo PC with 8 GB RAM.
Regards,
Adriaan
Adev

Post by Adev »

Ok, I'll try first to run the CVT problem from the command line again, but with a fresh copy of the sif file … I'll post the outcome.
Adriaan
Adev

Post by Adev »

Mathias & Kevin,
I downloaded a fresh/original copy of the C V T - P files, opened a command window, changed directory to where the new/fresh files are located, and typed ElmerSolver … Voila, success!! The project ran what appears to be correct. I attach the Command window output as a txt file.
The calculated frequency is 343 Hz after only 2 iterations.

Now my challenge is how to get it to run from the GUI
Attachments
Command Window Output.txt
(6.38 KiB) Downloaded 210 times
kevinarden

Post by kevinarden »

I would have one folder with the ElmerSolver only option and another folder with the ElmerGUI and then compare the sif files from each.
Adev

Post by Adev »

Thank you Kevin.
I did as you suggested: I created one folder for the original downloaded project files from which I copied them into two separate directories - one for running with the GUI and the other for running with the solver.
Running it from the directory for Command line execution works and produces the results noted in previous pages on this topic. This is a simple task consisting of typing the command "Elmersolver" in the command line from the problem file directory.
However,
Running it from the GUI produced the same errors as I had documented before.

In order to successfully run the project from the GUI, are there any other steps I need to perform (for example File-Definitions; Mesh-Configure-Remesh; or any of the Model -Setup or other Model tasks, before saving the project and running it? For a beginner like me, such steps are insurmountable by guessing.
kevinarden

Post by kevinarden »

It appears to be experiencing something similar to this bug report
viewtopic.php?f=16&p=21601#p21601

ElmerGUI is reassigning the boundary conditions when the project loads. You will have to load the project and then check the boundary condition assignments.

The error is specifically caused by
Linear System Preconditioning = Multigrid

in the new sif, which is different than the original sif, this is changed under Equations, your solver tab (Helmholtz), edit solver setting.
Adev

Success! Re: Simple Pipe Acoustics - the very basics

Post by Adev »

Finally success (except for Paraview)! Thank you Kevin and Mathias particularly for your helpful posts.
As feedback to the community, here is exactly how this was solved, and none of this is properly documented anywhere. To get it to work took me practically 1 month, and I hope herewith to help others avoid the frustrations. While the feedback is extremely knowledgeable, it is not geared towards a beginner user like me.

1. I loaded the CVT-P Simple Pipe Acoustics - the very basics problem posted by JoeD on 30 Jun 2017, 05:23 in the Elmer Solver forum, into a directory on my Windows 10 PC titled "Original CVT-P files".
2. I copied those files to a directory "CVT-P for GUI". The reason is that every time you run Elmer, it modifies the project files which makes troubleshooting unsuccessful runs very difficult.
Next I launched ElmerGUI and performed the following steps:
a. File - Load Project: this askes you to select the Directory where the project files are ( "CVT-P for GUI" for me)
b. Mesh - Remesh: I am not 100% sure this step is needed, but found it as recommended in the manuals, and the problem worked.
c. Model - Equation - Equation 1: Select the Helmholtz Equation tab, then the Edit Solver Settings bar
d. A window opens up called "Solver control for Helmholtz Equation": Select the Linear system tab and change the Preconditioning from Multi-grid to ILUT, and press the Apply button
e. Back in the Equation window, select Update followed by OK
f. Back in the Elmer GUI, select Mesh - Boundary condition - In, and in the General tab, check Boundary 1, Update, OK
g. Repeat similarly Mesh - Boundary condition - Out, and select Boundary 6, Update, OK
h. Repeat similarly Mesh - Boundary condition - walls, and select all Boundary 2 through 5, then Update, OK
3. At this stage perform File - Save Project: to ensure all your above edits are incorporated
4. Now select Run -Start Solver
You should now see a plot indicating convergence and a log file showing the results.
5. In the Solver log window, select File - Save and save the logfile with a name of your choice in the project folder for future review

As the above illustrates, there is a very large difference in what steps need to be taken which are assumed by others, probably as common knowledge, but is undocumented.
I really hope someone finds this helpful.
In my case, I am still struggling to get the GUI to launch Paraview and hopefully see the results graphically as in many of the Tutorials. I'll again post the steps to success (I hope to achieve), when I get it.
For those who do not have the original CVT-P project files, here they are again
C V T - P.zip
(478.2 KiB) Downloaded 215 times
, and my successsful run with the project files as well
Adriaan
Adev CVT-P Gui run files.zip
(485.42 KiB) Downloaded 237 times
kevinarden

Post by kevinarden »

I don't think ElmerGUI should change the sif file just because you load the project, I consider this a bug.

The paraview issue is that ElmerGUI just runs paraview.exe, but if the OS doesn't have it defined in the path variable than the OS doesn't know where it is.

You can run paraview separately and open the vtu file, or define the location of paraview in your PATH variable.

in W10 Path can be set like this

PATH is a system variable that lets an operating system like W10 know where the executable file is. ElmerGUI just runs paraview.exe, but if the operating system does not know where paraview.exe is located it won't run it. This site gives you information on listing the PATH and setting the PATH variable on W10.

https://www.techjunkie.com/environment- ... indows-10/
Adev

Post by Adev »

Thank you Kevin,
I did try to run Paraview separate from Elmer to load the vtu files, but received the same error messages for all the Tutorials as I posted elsewhere in the forum. I tried it with the latest Paraview V5.7 and systematically uninstalled and reinstalled older versions of Paraview to see if that made a difference … down to version 5.0 it still would not work and the error message in all cases start out blaming my Intel graphics driver, despite that it is pretty much industry standard for PCs and the driver is the latest update.
I'll next check the Path command as you suggested and see what happens.
Adriaan
kevinarden

Post by kevinarden »

The path variable will just allow paraview to start from the ElmerGUI menu, it won't change the error with the Intel graphics driver. Although the graphics driver is industry standard the specific settings and options may be causing a problem.