There must be a nasty bug

The graphical user interface of Elmer
Ahmed

There must be a nasty bug

Post by Ahmed »

First the result of running ElmerGUItester
Screenshot-ElmerGUI installation tester-2.png
Screenshot-ElmerGUI installation tester-2.png (18.99 KiB) Viewed 9098 times
Now the problem:- I am trying to repeat the Benard convection tutorial, importing the mesh and running the solver went as smooth as you would expect, now when I call the post processor here is what I get
Screenshot-ElmerGUI00.png
Screenshot-ElmerGUI00.png (18.09 KiB) Viewed 9098 times
Please read the message at the bottom.
and here we have the first few lines of the sif file
Header
CHECK KEYWORDS Warn
Mesh DB "." "."
Include Path ""
Results Directory ""
End

Simulation
Max Output Level = 4
Coordinate System = Cartesian
Coordinate Mapping(3) = 1 2 3
Simulation Type = Transient
Steady State Max Iterations = 20
Output Intervals = 1
Timestepping Method = BDF
BDF Order = 2
Timestep intervals = 200
Timestep Sizes = 2.0
Solver Input File = Rayleigh_Benard.sif
Post File = Rayleigh_Benard.ep
End

Constants
Gravity(4) = 0 -1 0 9.82
Stefan Boltzmann = 5.67e-08
Permittivity of Vacuum = 8.8542e-12
Boltzmann Constant = 1.3807e-23
Unit Charge = 1.602e-19
End

as you can see, I modified the file names (just for safe book keeping), anyway, when I saved the project, and the solver finished the iterations, I checked the project folder and the file was written with small "r" instead of the Capital "R", so I made a copy with the Capital "R", tried again to call the post processor, but the same message showed up again, finally I made a third copy with the name "case.ep" (I thought may be the default names are hard wired inside the code) but the same message...
so now the project folder has three copies (rayleigh_Benard.ep, Rayleigh_Benard.ep and case.ep) but none of them is seen by the postprocessor.
Any clues or recommendations
Thank you and good luck
hazelsct

Re: There must be a nasty bug

Post by hazelsct »

Is that the post-processor or the main GUI window? Have you done Run -> Start postprocessor or Run -> Postprocessor (VTK)?
Ahmed

Post by Ahmed »

hazelsct wrote:Is that the post-processor or the main GUI window? Have you done Run -> Start postprocessor or Run -> Postprocessor (VTK)?
Run -> Start postprocessor
Just out of curiosity, any difference between the two commands
Thanks for reading my post
Good luck
hazelsct

Post by hazelsct »

Ahmed wrote:
hazelsct wrote:Is that the post-processor or the main GUI window? Have you done Run -> Start postprocessor or Run -> Postprocessor (VTK)?
Run -> Start postprocessor
Just out of curiosity, any difference between the two commands
Yes, Run -> Start postprocessor uses the old postprocessor; Run -> Postprocessor (VTK) uses the new one built into ElmerGUI. If the simulation ran properly, either one should be able to show you the temperatures and velocities. I prefer the VTK one for its straightforward interface and easily zoomable rotatable movable viewer (drag left, right, and middle/both-click to use them).
Ahmed

Post by Ahmed »

Thanks for the clarification, though it does not remedy the cause of the bug, but it gives some kind of work around. That brings a more interesting question about the Elmer project itself,
is the Elmer project maintenance being gradually discontinued or reduced ?
I say that because other bugs that I have reported has not been answered or solved
Of course if the plan is to stop the development and maintenance of Elmer, I guess that Informing the community of users is the least you can do
Thanks and good luck to all
raback
Site Admin
Antispam: Yes

Post by raback »

No, Elmer development is not being reduced. However, the key development group is not that big and has had some (unexpected and expected) cases of absence this autumn. This has left the rest of group rather busy. Also, debugging is quite difficult if the problem cannot be reproduced. There is long list of other issues dealt with that are not covered by the forum. With limited recources we have to prioritize things but hopefully the bugs will be resolved with time. The user communitity can speed up this process, of course by providing bug reports, but also bug fixes.

-Peter
hazelsct

Post by hazelsct »

Ahmed wrote:Thanks for the clarification, though it does not remedy the cause of the bug, but it gives some kind of work around.
Hi Ahmed, Since the VTK viewer is the main postprocessor under development and the focus going forward, if it's meeting your needs then this is not a workaround but a real "fix", or rather, a feature/component that you hadn't known.

Or am I not understanding your bug/problem? Is the VTK postprocessor still failing you in some way?
Ahmed

Post by Ahmed »

In this case, it is advisable to check the documentation of the Elmer project, exclusive references to Elmerpost are given every tutorial, the VTK post processor is rarely mentioned.
Thanks and good luck to all
raback
Site Admin
Antispam: Yes

Post by raback »

Ahmed wrote:In this case, it is advisable to check the documentation of the Elmer project, exclusive references to Elmerpost are given every tutorial, the VTK post processor is rarely mentioned.
ElmerPost is more than ten years of age while the VTK based postprocessor not even a year. The documentation is unfortunately always lagging little bit behind. Also, the two postprocessors will coexist: VTK postprocessor offers unified and more modern look and feel, while ElmerPost provides more efficient rendering.

-Peter