3D scan data and Elmer

General discussion about Elmer
Skyred
Antispam: Yes

3D scan data and Elmer

Post by Skyred »

Hello, I'm new to the Elmer world and I would like to find some information on whether 3D scan data can be integrated to work with gmsh or Salome and subsequently with ElmerGUI. From surfing this forum and browsing the internet I came to the conclusion that I could theoretically import 3D scan data in STEP or IGES format from a 3D scanning software into salome/gmsh and create a mesh for the Elmer. Is my thinking going in the right direction?

What is the best way to go for a beginner so that I don't run into any errors or problems? Since I can export both STEP and IGES extensions from 3D scanning software, which would work best for me in this case, Salome or GMSH?
Thanks in advance for the answers. Best regards.
kevinarden

Re: 3D scan data and Elmer

Post by kevinarden »

Both Salome and Gmsh will import STEP or IGES. Both work well with Elmer. Salome is much more robust tool with many more options to learn.
This documents chapter 9 covers using either with Elmer.

https://www.nic.funet.fi/pub/sci/physic ... dElmer.pdf
Skyred

Post by Skyred »

Thanks for the link, I'll check it out. And thanks for the answer but I would like to clarify whether I can import STEP/IGES directly from Artec Studio software or should I do it through Solidworks for example?
kevinarden

Post by kevinarden »

Any step or iges file will import into Salome or gmsh. Where it came from should not matter.
Last edited by kevinarden on 06 Apr 2022, 14:58, edited 1 time in total.
Skyred

Post by Skyred »

Appreciate for this