ElmerSolver does not lunch after adding environment variables

Discussion about building and installing Elmer
lazyTom
Antispam: Yes

ElmerSolver does not lunch after adding environment variables

Post by lazyTom »

Hi all,

after a couple of years using Elmer on VM I have decided to change and try the nightly compiled version (zip file) for Windows.

I have added all environment variables as explained in the video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPDzlGYK_kM&t=312s.

Only the path have been added in a different way (as a new line, see picture below).

ElmerGUI appears to work but if I try to run ElmerSolver the system returns an error saying that it is not recognized as a command or a batch file.

Note that the error comes even after doubleclicking on it (ElmerSolver) to get the blue window and selected "run it anyway".

Any advice on why ElmerSolver doesnt run?

Thnkas,

Marco
varamb.png
(240.25 KiB) Not downloaded yet
kevinarden

Re: ElmerSolver does not lunch after adding environment variables

Post by kevinarden »

This error is because it is not in the path maybe adding in a different way (as a new line) did not work.
you can open a cmd wind and type echo %PATH% to very it is actually there
Rich_B

Post by Rich_B »

Hello,

If you haven't already, it may help to follow the installation example in GetStartedElmer, such as shown in Chapter 2, Windows - Install.

https://www.nic.funet.fi/pub/sci/physics/elmer/doc/

Try taking the defaults first, and let the installer sets the environment variables for you.

Let us know what happens.

Thanks, Rich.
lazyTom

Post by lazyTom »

Hi all,

thanks for the prompt reply. Here is what I found

Following Kevin's advice,
saying echo %PATH% gave a list of all paths, included the correct path of Elmer location. However Elmer paths (...\bin and ...\lib) were the only ones that were quoted.

Following Rich advice,
I have installed the exe file (GUI, non MPI, nightly) and both ElmerGUI and ElmerSolver run ok. Still need to run a simulation but at least I wanted to provide initial feedback.

In the picture below you can see that ELMER_LIB has not been installed and that the path has only the ...\bin address. However, in this case, if I say echo %PATH% Elmer path is not quoted. Btw what is its purpose ELMER_LIB?

Uninstalling Elmer, reverting back to the zip version, and modifying the variables and path (using what discovered with the exe installer) solved the issue (ElmerSolver is now running).

Hope this make sense.

Based on what I have found I think the Readme1st.txt file (in https://www.nic.funet.fi/pub/sci/physic ... n/windows/) should be updated.

Also, would it be possible to have the information from Readme1st.txt added to the "Get Started with Elmer on Windows" Guide? This would help who goes for the .zip option.

varamb after exe install cl.png
(48.46 KiB) Not downloaded yet

Thanks,

Marco
kevinarden

Post by kevinarden »

The library is a set of compiled utility programs commonly used by many of the solvers.
Rich_B

Post by Rich_B »

Hello Marco,

I have to admit, I've never tried installing Elmer from the zip file. Following your experience, and success, it makes sense to add some instructions to GetStartedElmer. In the meantime, we can refer to your post, thank you for taking the time and effort to post your results.

Thanks, Rich.
lazyTom

Post by lazyTom »

Cheers, happy to help ^^

Marco