Transient Phase Change Solver

Numerical methods and mathematical models of Elmer
Roland
Antispam: Yes

Re: Transient Phase Change Solver

Post by Roland »

Hi,
After some tests and settings modifications I came to the here attached simplified crystal_growth GUI project.
Here attached is also an animation over 2 seconds (after unzipping it, right clic and choose "open with" VLC player or Windows Media Player).
The solid/liquid interface (Boundary 4) goes nicely down (meaning that the upper solid phase is solidifying downward), except for the right end point (which is the tripple point!) which strangely does not move! Normally the triple point should also go downward by glidding down along the liquid meniscus...
So I wonder why this triple point does not move, when all the other points of the solid/liquid interface move nicely dowwnward .
It would be very kind if somebody (Kevin, or perhaps Peter if you could spend a moment on this...) could take a look at this and help me to fix this problem.
Many thanks in advance!
Roland
Attachments
CG_animation_2s.zip
(99.17 KiB) Downloaded 23 times
CG_03_Elmer.zip
(462.71 KiB) Downloaded 22 times
kevinarden

Post by kevinarden »

When I download the files I run them as is without making any changes, but I do not get the same results. Is this the same case.sif that generated those vtu files?
Roland

Post by Roland »

Ok Kevin, I will check that and keep you informed as soon as possible
Roland

Post by Roland »

Hi Kevin,
Since my last post I added in the model (whose geometry has been slightly modified: the triple point is now located on a bent straight line whose upper part is the solid crystal and whose lower part is the liquid) a "crucial" command line in the setup free text aerea, which is:
"Set Dirichlet BCs by BC Numbering = True"
This enforces the BC's to be taken into account exactly according to their numbering order (Peter has given this explanation for my former EM_levitation model).
Here attached is the corresponding zipped GUI project.
And now the whole thing works very well (see the animation / v_cast = 0 --> no pulling velocity in a 1rst state): the whole solid/liquid interface, including the triple point, goes nicely down, showing the downward solidification progress.
CG_animation_4s.gif
CG_animation_4s.gif (335.64 KiB) Viewed 368 times
This is very interesting and I can now make further tests (like adding a pulling velocity, etc...).
I will have also to add the latent heat surface source on the solid/liquid interface (which depends on the Stefan phase change velocity). Have you an idea of how get, as a variable, the Stefan phase change velocity from the Transient Phase Change solver?
We keep us informed.
Roland
Attachments
CG_03_Elmer.zip
(97.99 KiB) Downloaded 24 times
Roland

Post by Roland »

Hi,
Good news: the crystal_growth model starts to work now quite well, as shown below.
Crystal_Growth_Elmer_10s_03.gif
(916.12 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Some improvements must now be added, like mesh refinement, EM magnetic field, etc...
But in a 1rts state, the phase change heat release must be added on the phase change interface (boundary 4).
This phase change heat is function of the phase change Stefan velocity.
Has somebody an idea of how to get this Stefan velocity from the Transient Phase Change solver as a variable which could then be used to include the heat release in the phase change interface BC ?
Any idea would be very well come!
Thanks in advance for any help
Roland
raback
Site Admin

Post by raback »

Hi

In the attached case I added some stuff. There is now a hurle approximation for shape. I found it somewhere.
Hurle.PNG
Hurle.PNG (37.64 KiB) Viewed 338 times
The important thing is pull control that maintains the location of triple point.

Didn't look at pull velocity at all. For convenience I also added a the "pull velocity" as a variable when pull control is used. You could now say,

Velocity 2 = Equals "pull velocity"

(you need fresh code, I will commit changes in a few minutes).

-Peter
Attachments
CG_04.zip
(28.04 KiB) Downloaded 27 times
Roland

Post by Roland »

Hi Peter,
Thanks a lot for this model and for your huge efforts!
I will take a look at this and probably I will have questions about what you have added , compared to my model...
Just one thing (for beginning the questions!):
What is Hurle?
Thanks again for your help!
Roland
Rich_B

Post by Rich_B »

Hello Roland,

Just a guess, check out this article with the lead author named 'Hurle':

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/a ... 489090603I

Rich.
Roland

Post by Roland »

Hi again Peter,
I just tried to load your CG_04 project with the GUI, by typing "load project".
But is says:
"Project file not found".
Could you please tell me how to open your project with the GUI?
Thanks
Roland
Roland

Post by Roland »

Thank you very much, Rich!