Resolving SIGSEV - invalid memory reference

General discussion about Elmer
supreet
Antispam: Yes

Resolving SIGSEV - invalid memory reference

Post by supreet »

I am conducting acoustic modal analysis of a bluff-body-swirl combustor, and as a result I have a bit complicated geometry.

I've meshed the combustor in gmsh. Initially, I imported the mesh using "ElmerGrid 14 2 file.msh". When I ran the solver, it crashed with "SIGSEV - invalid memory reference". As I searched the forum it was clear that the mesh was the problem.

To resolve, I simplified the geometry to just the outer casing, without bluff-body and swirl. After remeshing and importing, the WaveSolver worked fine. Then after adding the bluff-body and remeshing, the problem occurred again. I changed the solver to HeatSolver hoping just to see a different error output. But the solver ran just fine, but it solve for anything.

Out of desperation, I thought of using ElmerGUI, and the HeatSolver for the case with the bluff-body worked, with the expected results! I switched to WaveSolver, and that too worked, and finally the original problem too was resolved.

It occurred to me that ElmerGUI command for meshing might be the reason the errors didn't occur and I was right. The GUI uses -autoclean option to clean up the mesh. When I used "ElmerGrid 14 2 "file.mesh -autoclean", the case ran like a charm. The geometry that I am using was created with a lot of unions and intersections in gmsh, and I think a certain amount of clean was required, which the option accomplishes.

I hope this will help others stuck in such situations.