Issues with frequency specification for magnetodynamics

General discussion about Elmer
uwestoehr
Antispam: Yes

Issues with frequency specification for magnetodynamics

Post by uwestoehr »

I am currently stepping through the Elmer tutorials and with the magnetodynamics I am stuck´because of the frequency specification.

- I do Tutorial 14 "Magnetic field induced by harmonic
current in a wire"
- as result I get no magnetic flux density computed. I checked again and again what could be my mistake

Here is the case. sif generated by ElmerGui:
case.sif
(3.83 KiB) Downloaded 27 times

Since I don't know what could be the mistake, I compared this file with the one I got for the Tutorial 16 (2D magentodynamics) which worked fine.
I see that for the 2D case the angular frequency is specified to the equation, while for the 3D case it has to be done for the general setup. In Elmer GUI there is no way to specify the Angular Frequency in the equation for 3D. I think this is a bug in Elmer GUI.
It is confusing that the docs (Elmer models manual) states the angular frequency setting should go to the Solver section.

So we have in total this case:
- 3D: frequency should be specified in the Solver section, but Elmer itself puts it into the Simulation section
- 2D: Elmer models manual does not mention the frequency at all despite a harmonic equation without this setting is not sensible. Elmer Gui specifies it in the Equation section

How is it done right?

Does anybody have an idea why I don't get any output for the attached case.sif file?
uwestoehr
Antispam: Yes

Re: Issues with frequency specification for magnetodynamics

Post by uwestoehr »

OK I re-read the tutorial and see that I must only have ONE equation and there add the MgHarm and MgDynPost equation.

The resulting case.sif contains then however this:

Code: Select all

Solver 1
  Equation = MgHarm
Solver 2
  Equation = MgDynPost
Equation 1
  Name = "MgHarm"
  Active Solvers(2) = 2 1
End
So the post solver is before the main solver. I know that I can change this by setting a priority, but I think ElmerGui should by default assure that the post solver is ouput to be exxecuted after the main solver, right?

When I set a priority, the tutorial works for me now.