Electromagnetic analysis types

Numerical methods and mathematical models of Elmer
NewJoker
Antispam: Yes

Electromagnetic analysis types

Post by NewJoker »

Hi,

I'm a mechanical guy but I'd like to learn some basics of electromagnetic simulations. For now, I'm trying to understand the capabilities of Elmer in this regard. Below is a list of electromagnetic analysis types from NAFEMS publications. Please refer to my questions within the list and let me know if there are any mistakes in my statements. I mainly used the Elmer Models Manual as a reference.

1. ELECTROSTATICS
a) definition: solves static electric fields generated by stationary (nonmoving) charges
b) Elmer implementation: StatElecSolve

2. MAGNETOSTATICS
a) definition: solves static magnetic fields generated by steady-state currents or permanent magnets
b) Elmer implementation: MagnetoDynamics and MagnetoDynamics2D solvers with a steady-state setting (in general solver settings) ?

3. STEADY CURRENTS
a) definition: solves steady (direct) currents - computes current density distribution in conducting bodies
b) Elmer implementation: StatCurrentSolve

4. ELECTROQUASISTATICS
a) definition: solves transient electric fields in time or frequency (for harmonic excitations) domain
b) Elmer implementation: no idea about this one, is it available ?

5. MAGNETOQUASISTATICS (LOW-FREQUENCY ELECTROMAGNETICS / EDDY CURRENT ANALYSES)
a) definition: solves transient magnetic fields in time or frequency (for harmonic excitations) domain
b) Elmer implementation: MagnetoDynamics and MagnetoDynamics2D solvers but how to switch to frequency domain ? By adding the WhitneyAVHarmonicSolver manually ?

6. HIGH-FREQUENCY ELECTROMAGNETICS
a) definition: solves electromagnetic waves (full coupling between electric and magnetic fields - complete Maxwell's equations)
b) Elmer implementation: EMWaveSolver ?
raback
Site Admin

Re: Electromagnetic analysis types

Post by raback »

Hi,

Minor addition:

5)
2D: MagnetoDynamics2D & MagnotoDynamics2Dharmonic
3D: WhitneyAVSolver & WhitneyAVHarmonicSolver

6)
EMWaveSolver & VectorHelmoholtz (harmonic)

6 is not really fully generic. It includes all time derivatives but it written only in terms of electric field and intended for wave equation (e.g. does not included B/H curves). The most generic is WhitneyAVSolver that has rather recently also gotten the missing time-derivatives so basically it can model wave equations as well.

-Peter
NewJoker

Post by NewJoker »

Thank you for the reply. What about ELECTROQUASISTATICS (4) ? Is it available in Elmer ?

And it's true that MagnetoDynamics and MagnetoDynamics2D solvers can be used for magnetostatics as well, right ?
raback
Site Admin

Post by raback »

Hi

I think StatCurrentSolveVec can take into consideration the extra term in transient case.

This does not have a harmonic version albeit any transient equation in Elmer can be solved as harmonic. It is just that if some parameters need to be complex this is not enough since then simply setting d/dt -> i\omega is not enough.

-Peter
NewJoker

Post by NewJoker »

raback wrote: 10 Jan 2024, 15:38 I think StatCurrentSolveVec can take into consideration the extra term in transient case.
Thanks again. I thought that StatCurrentSolve can deal only with steady currents. How to set it to solve transient fields ? Using the global Transient solver setting ?

For reference, I'm talking about this kind of simulations: https://www.comsol.com/multiphysics/ele ... ics-theory
raback
Site Admin

Post by raback »

Hi, it is the *Vec version so it essential in the module name. Some solvers have evolved alternatives (that should with time replace the non-vectorized versions). -Peter