Temperature plotted in non activated body

Numerical methods and mathematical models of Elmer
Roland
Antispam: Yes

Temperature plotted in non activated body

Post by Roland »

Hi,
As discussed in former topics, we work on the setting up of a multiphysics "crystal growth in cold crucible" 2D axisymmetric time dependant model which is now in encouraging progress (except for some points to improve, like the increasing of the physical solve time, some remaining free surface oscillations, etc...).
As seen on the attached screenshot the red body is the Silicon liquid out of which the solidified crystal is pulled out on the top. This Silicon body is surrounded by the air, the cold crucible sector (grey vertical rectangle) and a one layer vertical rectangular inductor.
The coupled physics are: Electromagnetics, Heat transfer, Navier Stokes and Deformed mesh.
The Electromagnetics and Deformed mesh are enabled in all bodies, while the Heat transfer and Navier Stokes are defined only in the Silicon body.
But when looking at the temperature field and velocity streamlines they are plotted in the Silicon body, which is correct, but we see that they are also plotted out of the Silicon body, say in an air region located just a little out of the Silicon free surface. This seems not correct since the temperature and velocity variables should not exist out of the Silicon body.
It would be nice if somebody could bring some help about how to fix this problem.
Thanks in advance
Roland
Attachments
Crystal_Growth_in_Cold_Crucible.JPG
(97.51 KiB) Not downloaded yet
kevinarden

Re: Temperature plotted in non activated body

Post by kevinarden »

I would say it is a display issue not an Elmer issue, particularly with the contour option in paraview? I assume. The temperature data is at the nodes, the contour is being averaged across the element. The temperature is zero everywhere in the blue field, but there are values at the boundary, so paraview displaying a gradient across the element. In other post processors you can tell it not to do that, or you can take the blue body out of the picture.
Roland

Post by Roland »

Hi,
Yes I agree with you, I will perhaps see this with the Paraview support.
hielau

Post by hielau »

Have you tried enabling discontinuous bodies in ResultOutputSolver?

Code: Select all

Discontinuous Bodies = Logical True
-Lauri
raback
Site Admin

Post by raback »

Hi

I would use "Threshold" filter in paraview to only activate the regions of interest.

Or maybe even better use "vtu part collection". This creates separate file of each domain. If you give bodies (and BCs) nice names this is very informative. For more instructions see:

viewtopic.php?p=21890&hilit=part+collection#p21890

-Peter
Roland

Post by Roland »

Hi,
Thanks Peter and Lauri, I will try these things and keep you informed.
Roland
kevinarden

Post by kevinarden »

Example of using the threshold filter to show only 2 bodies for the contour, but turning on the whole mesh without results to see whole model.
threshold.png
threshold.png (332.11 KiB) Viewed 139 times
Roland

Post by Roland »

Hi,
Thank you Kevin for this interesting setting.
As your image of the two bodies is not very clear and too blurry to read its left side, could you please resend it with more pixel precision so that I can read your Paraview left window settings?
Thanks in advance for your help
kevinarden

Post by kevinarden »

What I did was load the vtu file and just displayed solid color, no results, turned on surfaces with edges to see the elements.
Then I went to threshold filter and filtered on bodies 2 and 3 only and selected the desired output data, and turned on edges.
This only displays bodies 2 and 3 with data, and turns of the first plot by default.
I then go back and turn on the first plot to see the whole model. (the eyeball to the left in the pipeline)
threshold.jpg
(305.29 KiB) Not downloaded yet
kevinarden

Post by kevinarden »

In my case body 2 and 3 are shown with data using the threshold filter on geometry ID
filter.jpg
(490.37 KiB) Not downloaded yet