3D Magnetostaticswith two Supermagnets

Elmer cases by the users for the users
chouonrow
Antispam: Yes

3D Magnetostaticswith two Supermagnets

Post by chouonrow »

Hello! I have almost ready to show you a case that could be helpfull for more people. It looks like this
magnetostatics3D.jpeg
(188.97 KiB) Not downloaded yet
test1.JPG
test1.JPG (75.99 KiB) Viewed 7899 times
The problem is that I still have problems solving it. I have few questions that maybe somebody could help me with:

1. For a case like mine where I just want to see the Magneticfield lines /intensity etc... is it enough with the "Air" volume?.
2. My main problem is the solver. I have followed the tutorials, I did the 2D one for a permanent magnet and it worked perfect. But the "Magnetic field induced by harmonic current in a wire", doesn't help a lot since there is no WhitneyAVHarmonicSolver. So I guess I can use just MgDyn and MgDynPost and should work the same way?
3. What else am I missing? To be honest, I am quite new with Elmer and the learning curve is quite huge.

My set up is 2 small permanent magnets separated (and each divided in 2 volumes to be the + and -) and also a bigger volume where the "air" should be and we see the Magnetic field.

Thank you!
kevinarden

Re: 3D Magnetostaticswith two Supermagnets

Post by kevinarden »

You might try a finer mesh (smaller elements), most FEA tools a dependent on mesh size for good results.
kevinarden

Re: 3D Magnetostaticswith two Supermagnets

Post by kevinarden »

This case is helpful

"Attached is the case in somewhat modified form. The same case is now done both in 2D and 3D, and we even obtain same results. I compared to an analytic formula but it is accurate only when x>>R. In this case we have x=2R. Already with x=4R the relative error is reduced to about one third. Maybe you will find better references.

I hope this helps people dealing with permanent magnets.

-Peter"
MagneticForceCylindricalBodies.tar.gz
(2.99 KiB) Downloaded 460 times
field_strength.png
(104 KiB) Not downloaded yet
tracer.png
(253.73 KiB) Not downloaded yet