Preliminary Windows installers for testing

Discussion about building and installing Elmer
raback
Site Admin
Antispam: Yes

Preliminary Windows installers for testing

Post by raback »

Hi

If somebody wants to check whether these work, there are some fresh installers for Windows:

https://www.nic.funet.fi/pub/sci/physic ... ndows/new/

The changes are relatively small. The msys2 version from 2019 was updated for current version. This meant jump from gfortran 9 to 10. No old shortcomings were addressed. I was hopeful with MUMPS as there is even a package for it, but it didn't work out of the box.

-Peter
kevinarden

Re: Preliminary Windows installers for testing

Post by kevinarden »

It worked for me. I tested the damping in the ElasticSolver and it is updated.
Rich_B

Post by Rich_B »

After uninstalling Elmer, and then running ElmerFEM-gui-nompi-Windows-AMD64.exe, the installation went smoothly.

Starting ElmerGUI gave four error message boxes and then ElmerGUI quit. Three of the messages are attached, it wouldn't let me attach all four files, but you get the idea.

Then to test gfortran, I opened a command prompt in this folder: C:\Elmer\elmerfem-manuals\tutorials-CL-files\FluidStructureBeam which contains FsiStuff.f90.

Entering 'elmerf90 --version', returned this: GNU Fortran (Rev9, Built by MSYS2 project) 10.2.0, so we know we are using gfortran 10.

Compiling FsiStuff.f90 and running elmersolver worked, giving similar results to the previous version of Elmer.

Rich.
Attachments
error-1.png
error-1.png (17.92 KiB) Viewed 3750 times
error-4.png
error-4.png (11.06 KiB) Viewed 3750 times
error-3.png
error-3.png (11.26 KiB) Viewed 3750 times
kevinarden

Post by kevinarden »

I used the same installation executable, but I did not uninstall first. Have not found and issues yet.
Rich_B

Post by Rich_B »

Interesting.

So I downloaded the same installer but not from the 'new' folder, with a build date of 2021-03-28. Ran the installer without uninstalling the current version, no problem. ElmerGUI started normally.

Next, reran the installer that was from the 'new' folder, with a build date of 2021-04-05. Ran the installer without uninstalling the current version, no problem. ElmerGUI started normally.

So it seems uninstalling the older version first removed some needed files that were not included in the 'new' installer.

Rich.
raback
Site Admin

Post by raback »

Thanx Rich. New versions are being compiled. Hope they work better. -Peter
raback
Site Admin

Post by raback »

Ok, the new installers are now rebuild and they follow devel branch each night. I'll wait for some confirmation before replacing the gcc9 based installers from 2019 with these gcc10 based installers. Tested myself too and seemed to work ok. -Peter
Rich_B

Post by Rich_B »

Hello Peter,

I uninstalled all previous versions and ran CCleaner to clean up the registry.

The installer built last night 2021-04-06 worked as expected. ElmerGUI starts and runs normally, elmerf90 calls gfortran 10, and elmergrid and elmersolver run as expected.

Nice work!

Thanks, Rich.
raback
Site Admin

Post by raback »

Thanx Rich!

This is now the default here:
https://www.nic.funet.fi/pub/sci/physic ... n/windows/

In case there would pop up some unexpected problems the last previous installers are available at: old-gcc9.

-Peter