Using external program (gmsh) to handle update mesh

Mesh generators, CAD programs, and other tools
DePurpereWolf
Antispam: Yes

Using external program (gmsh) to handle update mesh

Post by DePurpereWolf »

Hello,
I would like to perform a coupled electrostatic - mechanic simulation to calculate pull-in of a fairly complicated (comb-drive) electrode.
The mesh will be generated by gmsh.
How will the update mesh for the coupled simulation work? I would like to remesh it with gmsh and not have to dig into Elmergrid to redo the mesh the way I want it.

On another note, where can I find an example of a coupled electrostatic mechanical simulation. Preferably one that is able to compute pull-in.

Thanks.
raback
Site Admin

Re: Using external program (gmsh) to handle update mesh

Post by raback »

Hi

There is at least a simple example in tests "ElastElstatBeam". However, in quick inspection it does not seem to include mesh deformation. Rather than remeshing the MeshUpdate solver is usually preferable.

The current code can only do voltage iteration. Now there is some really old work related to pull-in phenomena but I afraid that it never made to the open source code, see, http://www.csc.fi/english/pages/elmer/p ... ullin.pdf‎

-Peter
DePurpereWolf

Re: Using external program (gmsh) to handle update mesh

Post by DePurpereWolf »

Hello,
With help of the example you pointed out I've made some progress. My simulation is running and it is giving me good result.
What is the best way to handle simulation steps that do not converge, i.e. are past the pull-in step? I'm using a resultoutput solver to export a vtk after each voltage step. However, it still exports something even if the simulation did not converge.
Is there any way to cancel the simulation once the simulation is not converged after the max number of steady state itterations?

Thanks for your help