Question Regarding ElmerSolver Capabilities with Soft Limiter and Discontinious Galerkin Method

Numerical methods and mathematical models of Elmer
gschrank
Antispam: Yes

Question Regarding ElmerSolver Capabilities with Soft Limiter and Discontinious Galerkin Method

Post by gschrank »

I've been looking for the answer to this question elsewhere. Maybe it has already been asked and answered, but I've not been able to find it.

I've put together a couple User Solvers using the ModelPDE as a basis. I know that certain attributes like adaptive meshing require code in the user module to function correctly. There are two features I'd like to use, but I'm not sure if I need to supply my own code for them to work properly. The first is the soft limiter and the second is the use of discontinuous Galerkin methods. Both are discussed in the ElmerSolver Manuel, so my assumption is that they are code intergral to ElmerSolver rather than user supplied code, but I want to confirm that.

Thank you much!
raback
Site Admin
Antispam: Yes

Re: Question Regarding ElmerSolver Capabilities with Soft Limiter and Discontinious Galerkin Method

Post by raback »

Hi

If you have maintained all the "Default" slots from the ModelPDE then the soft limiter is a library functionality. Of course there are some underlying assumptions for it to work, like about the residual being a good indicator whether to release a node from contact or not.

DG is not purely a library feature. For each bulk element the code should work as such. However, you need to provide modeling for the terms that bind the elements together. They are typically designed to ensure continuity, however there are some special jump terms that has a physical interpretation such as poor thermal contact between parts.

At least these solvers could offer some guidance: AdvectionReaction.F90, HeatSolveVec.F90, PoissonDG.F90

-Peter