Post by roeug »

1. In ElmerTutorials.pdf Tutorial 7. Thermal flow in curved pipe I have
'The inner diameter of the pipe is 0.01 m and the outer 0.012 m, respectively…'
in curved_pipe.grd I have '

Subcell Limits 1 = 0 0.005 0.010 0.012 '

Revolve Blocks = 4
…'
Q1: What is the diameter values?
Q2: How could I see distances/sizes in ElmerGUI ?

2. In ElmerGridManual.pdf I have
Revolve Radius Real
There are three keywords that may be used to define how a 2D mesh is revolved around the y-axis
to create 3D cylindrical meshes.
When I use ElmerGUI/View/Compass I see the rotation around the z-axis.
Q: What takes place in fact?

3. Q: Does another manual/training (but ElmerGridManual.pdf) for ElmerGrid exist?
raback
Site Admin
Antispam: Yes

Re: Newbee with ElmerGrid

Post by raback »

Hi

First of all, ElmerGrid is a tool that was created for internal purposes of academic mesh generation. If you intend to do some serious mesh generation I would advice to use other tools e.g. gmsh, GiD etc. The strength of ElmerGrid is that you can compactly define parametrisized meshes. Therefore many tests in Elmer suite and also some tutorials use it.

1)
A1: Okay, maybe it should read "radius" rather than "diameter"
A2: you can see the bounding box in Model -> summary, unfortunately not much else. In postprocessing you can visualize the nocal coordinates.

2)
A: The revolation in ElmerGrid to create meshes and the ones used to rotete the mesh in ElmerGUI have nothing to do with each other.

3)
A: No.

-Peter
roeug

Post by roeug »

Thanks a lot.
> If you intend to do some serious mesh generation…
I intend to do a lot of experiments with meshes for simple geometry (axis symmetry, a few macrobodies like regular cylinders) I think that among a lot of meshering tools (I am not a guru in the subject) ElmerGrid is not the worst one and it is native for ElmerSolvers to be used for my heat transfer problems. Am I right?
> Another manual/training (but ElmerGridManual.pdf) for ElmerGrid does NOT exist?
May be I should read manual for another mesher with the same basic ideas as ElmerGrid uses.
raback
Site Admin
Antispam: Yes

Post by raback »

Okay, for your purposes ElmerGrid might be an appropriate tool. It is native to Elmer and if you want structured meshes there are not that many free options around. Unfortunately the same basic ideas might not be used in that many other mesh generators, and probably rightfully so ;-) -Peter
roeug

Post by roeug »

Thanks.
OK. I wanted to say that for me there is no difference which mesh generator to study (I have a lot of experience with 3D "non-CAD" modeling for Monte-Carlo codes and completely no dealing with meshes, especially 2D ones and their transformations to 3D).