Microwave and Heat co-simulation

Numerical methods and mathematical models of Elmer
atul
Antispam: Yes

Microwave and Heat co-simulation

Post by atul »

Is there an example showing how Elmer EM simulation and Heat simulation are done as a multi-physics problem?
I would like to simulate the temperature rise due to dielectric heating.
raback
Site Admin

Re: Microwave and Heat co-simulation

Post by raback »

Hi,

Would this be just steady current conduction and resulting resistive heating or inductive heating requiring more complete set of Maxwell's equations?

If the first look at test case "ThermalActuator" if the latter then there are are many options here:
https://github.com/ElmerCSC/elmer-elmag ... ionHeating

-Peter
vencels

Post by vencels »

Divergence of the Poynting vector, see eq. (2)
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/a ... 7X19302503
atul

Post by atul »

Hi Peter and Vencels,

Thanks for your responses and links.
I will simulate a microwave cavity (so standing waves) with a solid sample placed for heating. In this case, there is no fluid flow.

Peter:
I see from the example that Elmer can use EM and Heat equations simultaneously on a body and I can use convergence of temperature to end the simulation. I should be able to get a temperature profile at the end of simulation. Alternately, I code run the simulation for a fixed time.
Please let me know if I have misunderstood anything.

Vencels,
If I understand correctly, the advantage of coupling Elmer with FOAM is when fluid flow is involved. FOAM is more efficient since it uses Finite Volumetric Method. Would it still be advantageous for my example to couple Elmer and FOAM even though there is no fluid flow. Let me know your suggestions.

Thanks!
Atul
raback
Site Admin

Post by raback »

Hi

The system can be either steady state or transient. In both you should iterative the equations loosely until convergence. Of course for transient the timesteps getting small you can eventually neglect iteration within timestep if you want better performance. It may be also that your system is just hierarchical i.e. joule heating drives the temperature, but temperature does not affect the electric conductivity. Then there is no need to perform iterations on the coupled system level.

-Peter