Using coilsolver eddy effects are not shown.

Numerical methods and mathematical models of Elmer
Tapegoji
Antispam: Yes

Using coilsolver eddy effects are not shown.

Post by Tapegoji »

Hello,

I am currently working with two simulations: one using "Electric Current Density" and the other with CoilSolver. Both simulations are intended to achieve similar results. However, I've noticed that the simulation with CoilSolver does not accurately show the eddy effects.

Could you clarify if using CoilSolver alongside WhitneyAVSolver impacts the ability to predict eddy effects? I came across a discussion in the forum suggesting that CoilSolver may be limited to static solving. Is this the case?

Thank you for your assistance.

Best regards,
kevinarden

Re: Using coilsolver eddy effects are not shown.

Post by kevinarden »

This solver tries to provide numerical means for setting the coil current. The idea is that the computed
current density (or potential) may then be used in further simulations of magnetic fields.
Now the natural way to create the currents is to solve a static current conduction equation. Unfortunately
for closed loops it is difficult to define the boundary conditions. Rather than trying to make some special
mesh this solver provides a unique strategy to create the currents in two pieces using Dirichlet conditions for
some nodes in the bulk.
Tapegoji

Re: Using coilsolver eddy effects are not shown.

Post by Tapegoji »

I think I understand it better now—thank you for the prompt reply.

In my case, since I have a closed coil, I need to make a cut in the coil to apply the boundary conditions (BCs) and avoid using the coil. To accurately calculate the eddy effects, I should not use the CoilSolver. Is this assumption correct?

Regards,