ElmerSolver_mpi and MPICH2 v1.4

Discussion about building and installing Elmer
tibich72

ElmerSolver_mpi and MPICH2 v1.4

Post by tibich72 »

I'm trying to use the parallel version of Elmer. I've tried to use the mpiexec binary that was coming with the distribution, but there were some issues with resolving the computer name, so I decided to install MPICH2 from scratch. It installed fine, and it works without any problems with their 'cpi' example. However, when I try to run ElmerSolver_mpi, nothing happens: I run it like "mpiexec -n 2 ElmerSolver_mpi" -- there's no message, it just ends immediately. When I run just "ElmerSolver_mpi", it runs fine, though not parallelized.

Are there any known issues that prevent ElmerSolver_mpi (v. 5.5.0) to work with MPI v1.4?

After installing MPICH2, I've tried to run the mpiexec that comes with Elmer, and I got this error message:

Code: Select all

Aborting: unable to connect to <my computer name>, smpd version mismatch
tibich72

Re: ElmerSolver_mpi and MPICH2 v1.4

Post by tibich72 »

The sourceforge page for Elmer_..._mpich2 has this warning:

Code: Select all

4) Elmer*mpich2.exe: A 32-bit parallel version of Elmer. This version may be outdated and is not recommended.
Could this be the source of my problems? Is it somehow incompatible with Windows 7? Should I try to re-compile Elmer with MPI?

Thanks,
Tibi
raback
Site Admin
Antispam: Yes

Post by raback »

Hi

The old mpi version of Elmer available at sf.net is certainly outdated. It takes some effort to compile the parallel version under mingw. At least the most developers use Elmer mainly on Unix platforms so this is not of high priority.

As an altenative for testing parallel stuff on Windows platforms, tzwinger just composed a Wmware virtual machine based on Mint Linux. It has Elmer installed with all bells and whishles. If you have a fast connection you can get it from

http://www.nic.funet.fi/pub/sci/physics ... LinuxMint/

In addition you need the Wmware Player available at their homepage.

-Peter
tibich72

Post by tibich72 »

Hi Peter,

thanks for the information. Unfortunately, I have to use Windows, so I might take my chances with re-compiling Elmer with MPI support. It's not a huge priority now, so it might take a while.

Thanks,
Tibi