OutputActive

Discussion about coding and new developments
tetraeder
Antispam: Yes

OutputActive

Post by tetraeder »

Hello,

i'm working on a user defined solver and i was wondering if there is a way to control the output interval inside my solver. I've looked at ResultOutputSolve and noticed a variable named OutputActive. But i don't understand what it does. If i'm wrong, is there another variable which can be changed to control the output behavior?
raback
Site Admin

Re: OutputActive

Post by raback »

Hi

Well, there is a recently introduced keyword "Exec Condition". If it is positive you run the solver, if negative then not. You could thereby define a global variable in some other solver. The only application I did was for the FindOptimum solver where you now define a variable "Found Better" (1 if found, -1 if not) such that you can save the results by setting in the Solver section

Code: Select all

Exec Condition = Equals Found Better
You can also use

Code: Select all

Exec Solver = after saving
then the solver which be run at the instances define by Output Intervals.

-Peter
tetraeder

Post by tetraeder »

Thank you! It works!
tetraeder

Post by tetraeder »

Hello,
Is there also a way to reset the current timestep? For example if one timestep was solved, but maybe after it i would like to change some parameters and re-run this timestep. If this is impossible, would it be possible to increase the number of Timestep Intervals?
mzenker

Post by mzenker »

Hi,

have a look at thia thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2674#p8142. You will find code for an adaptive timestepping solver I wrote which resets to the previous time step if the current one did not converge.

HTH,

Matthias
tetraeder

Post by tetraeder »

I've looked at your code, but the problem is that when i define the number of timestep intervalls (for example 400), elmer increases the current timestep, even if there was no convergence, and stops the simulation after 400 timesteps.
mzenker

Post by mzenker »

Hi,

have a look at the code again... ;)
The solver takes care of that. Set the number timesteps to a large number, e.g. 10000, and set the duration in the solver section. The solver stops Elmer if the duration is reached.

HTH,

Matthias
tetraeder

Post by tetraeder »

Ahhhhh now i understand it! This makes sense. Thank you.