Crash loading gmesh file?

The graphical user interface of Elmer
elmerUser

Crash loading gmesh file?

Post by elmerUser »

Hello,

I am a new Elmer user, and so I may be misunderstanding something. I am running elmer under Ubutnu 9.10 and have installed it from the repositories

When I export my mesh from gmsh, and attempt to load it into elmer, elmerGUI crashes with the following information in the logger window.

ElmerGrid loading data from file: /home/daniel/roundTip.msh
Format chosen using the first line: $MeshFormat
Loading mesh in Gmsh format 2.0 from file /home/daniel/roundTip.msh
Untreated command: $ParametricNodes
Untreated command: 18842

Untreated command: 18829 0.8682666094104792 3.969791234779485 0 2 16 3.969791234779485 0.8682666094104792
Process error
Error: Crashed
Process state changed
State: NotRunning
Finished
Exit code: 0

As far as I can see, this must be due to femfilein.c not handling the parametric mode in gmsh? I have tried the other modes,a and nothing happens when I load the mesh. Any ideas on how to do this? I am trying to import a simple 2D plane with a small chunk taken out of one corner.

aptitude information:

Package: elmer
State: installed
Automatically installed: no
Version: 5.5.0.svn.4214.dfsg-1ubuntu2

Package: gmsh
State: installed
Automatically installed: no
Version: 2.3.1.dfsg-2ubuntu1
Priority: optional
Section: universe/math
elmerUser

Re: Crash loading gmesh file?

Post by elmerUser »

Hello,

I have figured out why "nothing happens" in the other cases. The 3D view is not working :(

I can load the example file "t1.msh" and the summary reports the nodes, bounding box etc.

But no visuals on anything... I am running ubuntu in a virtual machine, as the box that I have available to myself runs only opensuse, which has no packages, and I couldn't get ElmerGUI to compile.

edit: OK the visuals problem is fixed. Anyone running virtualbox, you need to install the guest additions (Devices->Guest Additions). The end result is a bit wierd (bad window Z ordering), but it works