Remeshing and command input

The graphical user interface of Elmer
alibrandi

Remeshing and command input

Post by alibrandi »

Dear all
I'm new with Elmer. I have some easy questions. I imported a simple geometry from gmesh and I would like to know how to remesh it in ElmerGUI. I tried to modify the parameters in
- Mesh
- configure
but nothing happens. Why? Did I made a wrong model in gmsh?What do the commands in configure mesh (Max H, fineness, Bgmesh, string) mean?
The input values for temperature conditions are in Kelvin or Celsius?
How can I use the command that are described in the ElmerGrid manual?
Thanks to all.
Alibran
raback
Site Admin
Antispam: Yes

Re: Remeshing and command input

Post by raback »

Hi Alibran

Gmsh format (.msh) is an existing mesh, it cannot be remeshed within Elmer. Elmer can only mesh geometry formats (brep,step,stl,iges,..) and then the command line parameters of netgen (or tetgen) may be used to control the mesh density. For further instructions on the parameters look at the user guide of netgen (or tetgen).

Elmer does not fix any unit system. Any unit system will usually do as far as it is consistant. Typically there is not much difference whether you use K or C, but the radiation heat transfer prefers the Kelvins because of the T^4 dependence of radiation.

You can use ElmerGrid command by either calling Elmer from command line. You have also an ElmerGrid plugin within ElmerGUI but that only affects those formats that are handled by ElmerGrid (and not byt netgen or tetgen). There you can apply the in-line parameters in Configure / ElmerGrid box.

-Peter

PS. Separating clearly different questions to separate emails would be appreciated
alibrandi

Re: Remeshing and command input

Post by alibrandi »

Dear Peter
Thanks for your answer that was really helpful.