Merging Debian package patches

Discussion about building and installing Elmer
hazelsct

Re: Merging Debian package patches

Post by hazelsct »

Hello Peter,

All of the required packages to build Elmer are listed in the .dsc file of the source package. Have you built Debian packages aside from Elmer?

Also, there's a description of how to build Elmer packages from source on the Elmer wiki: http://www.elmerfem.org/wiki/index.php/ ... u_Packages

-Adam
petroo

Post by petroo »

Hello Adam,

yes, I guess I was not aware that also a source package is available as a repository file. I built the binary files myself after downloading them directly from the SVN server, and to my knowledge there was no direct information on which packages to fetch on a mandatory base. It was again a matter of compile and see if another dependency needed a resolution - and then tinker around to fetch the related packages from the Ubuntu distro.

If I understand correctly the canonical way to a trouble-free source installation with potential update from newer svn ressources would be:

# Install Elmer source package as distributed in the distribution's universe package.
# Compile it as a kind of reference compilation test
# For newer versions, download directly from SVN and expect the required foreign packages to be already installed.

Would this also work for the qt3/qt4 problem? Even though I installed the Ubuntu 10.4 LTS version the compilation of ElmerGUI would not work until I changed my settings manually to using qt4 libraries as default settings. I was somewhat astonished that during the compilation process always the qt3 libraries were fetched even though both versions were available, and the compilation process should know which version to take if both are present on the system.

But admittedly, I am not the source distro sorcerer and usually rely more on the ready-to-go packages. :oops:

Regards,

Peter
hazelsct

Post by hazelsct »

Hi Peter,

Which is your distribution, Debian or Ubuntu? I made new packages of both yesterday, for Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid on http://www.opennovation.org/ubuntu/ and for Debian I uploaded to unstable and until it gets through the NEw queue you can get it at http://lyre.mit.edu/~powell/elmer/ .

As for building fresh packages from SVN, that's mostly standardizable. You need to make a .orig.tar.gz file, without certain directories like metis and mathlibs and umfpack, then get the regular source package and copy its debian directory into the new one from SVN. You can probably build right from there, but occasionally it takes some tweaking. For example, the elmersolver library version bumped from 6.0 to 6.1 since the last update, so that required a few changes in debian/control, debian/rules, and debian/libelmersolver* .

I'll put some time into updating the Wiki page to describe in more detail how to do this, and to organize it a bit better.

As for Qt, thanks for pointing out this problem -- it sounds like I need to declare a build conflict with Qt 3 development files. This could be tricky, and will need to wait at least a week.

Apologies for this last three-month delay between packages, I'll try to keep up more frequently.

-Adam
petroo

Post by petroo »

Hi Adam,

first, thanks for your continued effort on keeping the repositories to date!

At the moment I seem to be happy with the state of the simulator, so I somewhat hesitate to make just some update test runs on my work machine. But I am quite sure I'll return to this thread some time in the future.

Btw, my machine runs Ubuntu 10.4, but it was updated from earlier versions to this state. After some very bad experiences in the (admittedly rather distant) past with the update of older (SuSE) distros to newer ones I am somewhat hesitant to assume that the current system is as canonically set and parameterized as a 10.4 freshly installed from scrap would be - even though at the moment it runs quite nice in every respect. But as there is a multitude of potentially involved packages and settings, and since as a mostly application-oriented user I do not feel competent enough w/r/to the machines optimal tuning or alignment to canonical settings, I'd rather refrain from tinkering around too much with the system itself. ;)

Therefore do not take my notices as a general pointer but as a hint what may go wrong at least in some, presumably not-to-rare, setups of other users. :?

Regards,

Peter
hazelsct

Post by hazelsct »

Hi Peter,

The nice thing about these packages is that you can easily install and test the new version, and if it doesn't work, just re-install the old package using a --force-downgrade (or something like that). I can put up all of the old packages in a retrievable location if you like.

And at some point I will post the steps to generate a new .deb set from SVN on the wiki.

When the Elmer discussions moved from email to the web, it moved out of my regular workflow, so I sometimes go a month or two without checking. :| But if you or anyone needs a new version of the packages, just send me a private message on the forum, and I'll get an email alert and should be able to take care of it within a week (probably a couple of days).

-Adam