import new mesh in existing project

The graphical user interface of Elmer
martijn

import new mesh in existing project

Post by martijn »

I would like to change the geometry of my problem and generate a new mesh (using gmsh) and import this new msh file into an existing elmer project. How do I do this? I have not been able to force elmer to generate new msh.* files in the current project and opening the old project file while a new geometry has been opened results in a crash. So I ended up redefining my materials, equations and boundary conditions. I suppose this can be done easier.
raback
Site Admin
Antispam: Yes

Re: import new mesh in existing project

Post by raback »

If you haven't made any changes (join or division) to the mesh you could perhaps use the ElmerGrid from command line directly to make the new mesh:

Code: Select all

ElmerGrid 14 2 mesh.msh -out meshdir
using the same options as you did under GUI and you should have a compatible mesh. ElmerGUI saves by default the mesh files and the command file so you cannot save just the mesh files. You could perhaps make a safe copy of the initial .sif so it won't get lost, if using the sif.

The project includes also info on the operations performed on the mesh. However, I'm not quite sure of the compatibility issues that can face if you load a new mesh to existing project. Somebody else can perhaps comment on the limitations.

-Peter
sfostner

Re: import new mesh in existing project

Post by sfostner »

I was wondering if you/anyone had resolved this?

I have a similar case, the mesh geometry I import from gmsh varies from run to run, but always has the same basic geometry, just with stuff moved around very slightly (ie same volumes, surfaces, points, lines etc), and they all end up using the same parameters in elmer. So redoing the project from scratch every time is a nuisance, but as the OP said, trying to squeak by that causes horrible crashes for me every time.

Thoughts?

Cheers
Shawn