Display computed current density body force

Numerical methods and mathematical models of Elmer
evantandersen
Antispam: Yes

Display computed current density body force

Post by evantandersen »

I'm trying to simulate the force between two metal plates, each having a magnetic field with multiple poles. (a linear motor in 2D aka planar motor). The required magnetic field should be sin(x)sin(z). The current to create such a field is {cos(z)sin(x), -sin(z)cos(x)}, which has a divergence of 0. However, I haven't been able to get the magnetic solver to run with any current > 0. I believe it's because the current density is being "cut-off", and there are a non-integer number of magnetic poles, which creates divergent current at the boundary.

I've thus been trying to understand how the coordinate system works for the fortran body forces, as well as trying to visualize the current density that's currently being generated. I tried several forum posts, including things about "SaveBoundaryValues" and "SaveMaterials" but I haven't been able to get it to work. I've also tried using the StatCurrentSolver, but it seems to ignore body force currents and only takes its input from potential. If I was able to view the current density vector field in paraview, I'm sure this problem could be solved quickly.

What are the coordinates used in the body force fortran function? Where are they referenced to? (the body the force is applied to?, if so, where is 0?)

Much thanks.
Attachments
case.sif
(2.83 KiB) Downloaded 113 times
raback
Site Admin

Re: Display computed current density body force

Post by raback »

Hi

In your sif the coordinates are passed to the CurrDensX etc. subroutines. Maybe you can share them as well.

Note that your currents should be divergence free or otherwise the system cannot have a solution. However, there is a way to fix the current density by adding "Fix Input Current Density = True" to the AV solver.

-Peter
evantandersen

Post by evantandersen »

Alright, I have worked on this some more, and made some progress, but I'm still unable to get the magnetic simulation to converge. I figured out the coordinates now, and I was able to visualise the current vector field by looking at the two components individually, using a potential solver:
currDensX.png
currDensX.png (103.55 KiB) Viewed 1036 times
currDensZ.png
currDensZ.png (100.25 KiB) Viewed 1036 times
Together, that should make 4 loops of current, like this:
vectorField.png
vectorField.png (56.95 KiB) Viewed 1039 times
So, the current looks good to me. Should have divergence == 0. And yet, still no converge. The simulation starts with an error of E+3 and hovers around there and E+4 forever (at least the few minutes I let it run).

I have tried adding "Fix Input Current Density = True", but it didn't seem to change anything.

What could be going wrong? Is it a problem to have large currents right up against an edge, but parallel to it? Can the meshing create divergence?
Last edited by evantandersen on 15 Nov 2021, 21:24, edited 1 time in total.
evantandersen

Post by evantandersen »

Here is what I've been using so far. The case-view.sif is what I used to visualize what the body force was doing (and learn the coordinate system)

I meshed the stp file with all of the default settings, except for a max-mesh size of 3 for all the surfaces of the inner 2 plates (in netgen).
Attachments
project.zip
(7.98 KiB) Downloaded 93 times
raback
Site Admin

Post by raback »

Hi

The AV Solver only gives you the potentials. You need to have a postprocessing solver. Check for keyword "Calculate Nodal Forces" as in the following tests:

Code: Select all

elmeruser@elmeruser-VirtualBox:~/elmerfem/fem/tests$ grep 'Calculate Nodal Forces' */*.sif
mgdyn2D_em_harmonic/konesec.sif:  Calculate Nodal Forces = True
mgdyn_angular_steady/case.sif:  Calculate Nodal Forces = Logical True
mgdyn_anisotropic_rel/cyl-case.sif:  Calculate Nodal Forces = Logical True
MgDynDiscontBCs/case.sif:  Calculate Nodal Forces = Logical True
mgdyn_hypre_ams/case.sif:  !Calculate Nodal Forces = Logical True
mgdyn_nodalforce2d/konesec.sif:  Calculate Nodal Forces = Logical True
mgdyn_stump_jfix2/stump.sif:  Calculate Nodal Forces = True
mgdyn_stump_jfix/stump.sif:  Calculate Nodal Forces = True
TEAM30a_3ph_slip_bf/TEAM30a_3ph_slip_bf.sif:  Calculate Nodal Forces = True
TEAM30a_3ph_transient/TEAM30a_3ph_harmonic.sif:  Calculate Nodal Forces = True
TEAM30a_3ph_transient/TEAM30a_3ph_transient.sif:  Calculate Nodal Forces = True
TEAM30a_3ph_w_bf/TEAM30a_3ph_w_bf.sif:  Calculate Nodal Forces = True
After you have computed the nodal forces you still need to sum them together. You can use SaveScalars for this, for example.

-Peter
evantandersen

Post by evantandersen »

raback wrote: 16 Nov 2021, 02:59 Hi

The AV Solver only gives you the potentials. You need to have a postprocessing solver.
The WhitneyAVSolver should still converge without those stages though, right? My problem is that I can't get the system to converge. The simulation just runs forever with ever increasing errors.

I briefly tried adding those stages but it didn't seem to change that behaviour.
raback
Site Admin

Post by raback »

Hi

You're right. Without convergence there is nothing. This equation does not have gauging bu default. So it does not have an inverse either and hence the ILU is not really good for preconditioning. Try with "none" and linear solvers "BiCGStabl" + "Polynomial Degree = 4" or "Idrs" and "Idrs Parameter = 6", for example.

Also have the "Fix Input Current Density" set to True since even if you would have a divergence free current density for the continuous function this might not be the case for the discrete system.

-Peter