Pressure drop in Ducts

General discussion about Elmer
semo

Pressure drop in Ducts

Post by semo »

Hello,

I want to model pressure drop in ducts. It should account for friction and shock losses. It is hot gas flowing (max speed around 20-25 m/s) through large ducts and i would think it is incompressible flow. Does anybody have experience solving this kind of problems with Elmer? Solving Navier-Stokes would be enough or I need to solve energy (and maybe k-e model since the flow is turbulent) as well?

Any help is greatly appreciated...

Thanks,

semo
semo

Re: Pressure drop in Ducts

Post by semo »

anyone?
raback
Site Admin
Antispam: Yes

Re: Pressure drop in Ducts

Post by raback »

Hi

Perhaps not so much. OpenFOAM deals with the flows quite well so most seem to choose that leaving less applications to other solvers. I tried to speculate on the Elmer vs. OpenFOAM questions in the following slide show. It's just a personal hunch.
http://openfoamfoorumi.com/wordpress/wp ... ackCSC.pdf

Now in this case you need to solve the energy equation if the equation is considered compressible (ideal gas law changes temperature) or you have heat transfer by conduction through the walls.

Whether Navies-Stokes is enough depends on the Reynolds number. I would speculate its so high that you need some RANS models or alternatively VMS model with fine space and time resolution.

-Peter