Trouble downloading Elmer's .ova file.

General discussion about Elmer
Faith Shipapa
Antispam: Yes

Trouble downloading Elmer's .ova file.

Post by Faith Shipapa »

Hello,

I would like to use Elmer in the Command-Line and I have Virtual Box installed. I know that Elmer provides a .ova file in this link;
https://www.nic.funet.fi/pub/sci/physic ... lMachines/ -
but when I click on the .ova file it just shows lots of random characters.

I would like help figuring out how to download this file (I understand its a big file) or a pointer to where I can find a downloadable file.

I appreciate all your support!

Best,
Faith
kevinarden

Re: Trouble downloading Elmer's .ova file.

Post by kevinarden »

Tested it on Linux it works fine.

Switched over to W10, same problem as you. Why, W10 wants to open the file not download it, and W10 doesn't know what a ova file is.
On W10 right click on the file instead, go down to the option that says save link as, it then will download and save the file. You can then use the ova file in virtual box.

or:
If you installed Elmer on W10 using the Windows installer than you can run Elmer from the cmd line on W10. Go down to type here to search, type cmd, start the cmd app, or start the cmd any other way. The installation put Elmer in the path so you can execute Elmer commands from the windows cmd line

or:
you can install wsl (windows sub language) and then Ubuntu, directly on the windows machine, then install Elmer on ubuntu using the ppa instructions.
Faith Shipapa

Re: Trouble downloading Elmer's .ova file.

Post by Faith Shipapa »

Thank you very much!

I was able to download the .ova file to use in virtual box!

Best,
Faith