scaling a mesh

General discussion about Elmer
JohnQuinn

scaling a mesh

Post by JohnQuinn »

All,

I am a new user and have been working on the many helpful tutorials and now want to have a shot at a real microfluidic simulation using the Advection-Diffusion Equation.
I ran into problems importing the tiny geometry that I require so I made the part bigger in a CAD program and imported as a step file. Now I need to rescale back to the smaller geometry but I can only find references to a scale command line argument. I have not compled any code and am running the windows binaries. I cannot find any controls for ElmerGrid on the ElmerGUI interface. I have tried to activate the ElmerGrid from its .exe file and what looks like a command line editor flashes on the screen for an instant. Is there a simple way to change the meshing to adjust the scale of my imported part without compiling source code?

I didnt find a 3D implementation of analyte transport in a fluidics channel in the tutorial set. It would be very helful if someone had a similar project they could share with me.
Thanks for your help,

John Quinn.
raback
Site Admin
Antispam: Yes

Re: scaling a mesh

Post by raback »

Hi John,

Unfortunately scaling is not directly supported by ElmerGUI or ElmerSolver. This would be easily implemented and maybe will be done so in the future.

ElmerGrid can read in meshes and write them with a different scaling when you give the command line arguments '-scale cx cy cz' where the three values refer to scaling in each coordinate direction. You can use ElmerGrid from the command promt which in Windows XP, for example, is in Programs -> Acessories -> Command Promt. The following might work

Code: Select all

ElmerGrid 2 2 meshdir -scale 0.001 0.001 0.001
You could also choose another consistant unit system where you would not need to change your units. This approach is prone to errors so maybe not the 1st recommendation.

Things are basically similar in 2D and 3D. The main difficulty may come from the fact that analyte transportation may require quite dense meshes which in 3D means rather heavy computations and challenges for quality mesh generation.

BR, Peter